Would you know where to begin?

On Friday I went to get a check up at the doctor's office they did some blood work anyway I get a call on Monday and was told to go on a low cholesterol diet, we just went grocerie shopping and spent some money on that...I don't even know where to begin I mean I am so used to eating this and that so where do I begin???

Thanks ladies :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Health

• SATURATED fat is NOT THE PROBLEM. Artificially saturated fat (anything that say 'hydrogenated' or 'partially hydrogenated' on the label, even if it says 'zero transfat', because of a labeling law loophole) is the problem...

Alcohol, smoking and a diet high in transfat, low in fiber and no exercise is the problem. The problem is an 'inflammatory' lifestyle that causes the insides of arteries to get pitted. The pits collect cholesterol globs which break off and cause problems like strokes and heart attacks, or just fill the arteries so blood can't flow.

In France, where no one eats anything like a 'low fat' diet, they have less than 1/2 the heart disease the US has --they eat butter, cream, lard and pate de fois gras and walk a lot, every day.

The problem is the damage done to arteries by inflammation, and the test for it is C-reactine protein levels. There are no drugs that lower it, it's all lifestyle.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• your doctor should go over that with you. I'd ask him to send you information on it. when I had high choleterol, my doctor did and give me tons of brochures and packets telling me what I could and couldn't eat and a ton of recipies.
    Anonymous

• Begin at the beginning. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, low fat meats. skip the processed foods. Oatmeal is good too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i think oatmeal for breakfast is good. typically lean meats, so less beef and more chicken and fish. fresh whole foods are always better for you than processed foods. you should get a good look at your cholesterol numbers. sometimes your overall number is high b/c your good cholesterol levels are high. i also suggest you read the cholesterol myth, and also discuss this with your doctor as well...your cholesterol numbers and what they mean. they should provide you with dietary suggestions.
    good luck and the best of health to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• You can make an appointment with a nutritionist.They have one at your towns WIC office(women & infants help with growth & food.)Or through the community Health program in your area.They are a BIG help~!~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 12:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• thanks for the point of view Linda! this is something i keep meaning to read about...but i haven't made the time yet.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree with Linda. Also rid yourself of anything with high fructose corn syrup, aspartame and artificial sweeteners. That stuff is like crack and shouldn't even be in your body. Raw and organic food diets are the best way to go for americans. Pretty much all food in america has certain addictive additives and shouldn't be consumed. Make sure to look at the label if buying anything besides organic fruits, veggies and meats. Also don't trust the fda as to what's organic. If you want real organics try a farmers market.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 6:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010