How many it too many ear infections?

My son has had at the least 5 ear infections since October, It may have been more I have lost count. Seems like he has been on antibiotics all winter! His Pediatic doctor hasnt even changes the antibiotic at all. We went into prompt care on Sunday because he had another bad ear infection! I am getting worried, I dont want him to lose his hearing or any other problems!

mrsmamaj

Asked by mrsmamaj at 12:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Health

• my kiddos are going through the same thing. My ped told me that the fluid is still left in the ear behind the ear drum from two to six weeks even AFTER the infection is GONE! I didn't even know that! It can cause future ear infections as well.
    It seems like everytime my kids get colds they get an ear infection, then it goes away until the next cold. I used to be like this when I was younger as well, and had to deal with multiple ear infections.
    If he's not changing the meds though, that would be something to be worried about, because if you take one medication, like amoxicillin, your body can become immune to it.
    Good luck, and question your PED about it!!!
    Anonymous

• I had many many many ear infections, my mom finally had the docs change the tubes in my ears, take them out, put them it.. had that done 8 times.

One remedy for sore ears.. a hot cloth on it. Ah blissful to a throbbing ear.

Sorry and good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• That is how my 10 month old has been. He has been on different antibiotics because the doctor said there is no point in using the same one because his body just had it. The fluid was gone between infections because they had him go back in for checkups because of having so many. He just went on Friday and his ears were pink but the doctor didn't give antibiotics because they weren't bad. I don't know how many they consider too many. When my oldest was a baby he had 6-8 ear infections within his first year and got tubes by 21 months. He had to go to an ENT first.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2010