The question, “is it Constitutional”?

The question, “is it Constitutional” should be changed to, “is it right or wrong.”

Trying to decide what a bunch of dead dudes “intended” 223 years ago, is irrelevant in today’s society.

Laws change as society changes. (Remember, slavery wasn’t abolished until the 5th presidency after the constitution was signed.)

If you examine the evidence for something and decide it’s right or wrong, say so; and I will respect you. Don’t stretch to find evidence that it’s against what a pile of bones might have thought in the 1700’s.

Two weeks ago, I used to agree with our attorney general's current opinion to an extent. I didn’t think it was fair to require Americans to buy health insurance and fine them if they don’t.

: (((CONTINUED below:)))

Skepticchick

Asked by Skepticchick at 12:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a REALLY small thing to argue about. I mean c'mon. People who already have health insurance, don't want to be TOLD that they must have health insurance. That's liek a 2 year olds argument.

"OMG, we're being forced to have health care. Everybody run to the hills, we hate the Dr.'s offices & being healthy"
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• So, I asked myself this question: Why wouldn’t someone want health insurance? The main reasons I came up with were: They can’t afford it, or they can’t qualify. Well, there is a subsidy for people who can’t afford it in the bill, and now insurance companies can’t deny coverage.

There ARE people who rarely go to the doctor who pay less for the occasional doctor’s visit than they would for an entire year of paying for insurance. However, what happens when one of these uninsured have an unexpected surgery and generate tens or hundreds of thousands in doctor and hospital bills?

WE and the DOCTORS pay for it. Sure, the hospital can still bill 100,000 to that individual and garnish their paychecks for the rest of their lives.

Continued......
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• But most uninsured people are not millionaires, they are lower to middle class who will never pay off an amount of money like that. Hospitals have to raise everyone’s costs to cover their “uninsured budget” and doctors just don’t get paid.

Whether requiring someone to buy insurance is against the constitution or not, I don’t care. Is it right or wrong? I think it’s right. What good reason is there not to have health insurance for you or your family?
    Skepticchick

• It is unconstitutional to tell people how to spend their money. End of debate.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• You must not have read the part about..... Trying to decide what a bunch of dead dudes “intended” 223 years ago, is irrelevant in today’s society.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• What good reason is there not to have health insurance for you or your family?
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• As it seems some think our freedom is irrelevent in today's society.Some are all to willing to give up theirs.I won't be giving mine up.
    Anonymous

• Conservatives are all about "conserving" the constitution. They are not willing to conform to how things change.

It would really help our economy if the 300,000 people who are not insured had to pay for insurance. Not everyone is going to get free healthcare, just cheaper healthcare. What they need to do is create a market between already existing insurance companies & credit them for lowing costs, especially to those who have preexisting conditions. that's where i think the government should come in. All they need to do is credit the insurance companies for lowering their costs & premiums. Also, if everybody was forced to buy insurance, this would create a SERIOUS market for the insurance companies. They would be in serious business & would have to lower costs in order to get customers.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• THere are people who rarely go to the dr who pay less for the occasional dr's visit......
    ~
    YES! This is what I think. Its a gamble. What do you do when the unexpected happens? You are going to go virtually bankrupt. THat is not very american, the land of opportunity. When the unexpected surgery happens do you get a fair hospital bill when you dont have insurance?

Health insurance companies dont have incentives. That is one reason not to have it. They are greedy. Talk to me....I like your question.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

So you think we should just forget about the documents that have helped our nation be one of the greatest nations in the world~because you think some 'dudes' written laws for this nation are irrelevant? Are ALL the laws in the Constitution irrelevant? Or just the ones that don't meet your personal agenda?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2010