Have you ever got gel nails?

Im wondering how much do they cost and whats your input on them?

BrittanyD07

Asked by BrittanyD07 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• My mom used to get the gel nails for the longest time. They would cost her about $30 a set, and about $15 for fills. She liked them better than acrylic nails and now her own nails are so thick that she doesn't need the gels anymore.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 11:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It depends on the salon. I think I usually see them for $18 at your typical salon and $35+ at upscale salons and spas. I used to get gel nails in high school for special events like prom, but I'm pretty sure the trend is in the down sweep. Natural nails are what you see on celebrities and socialites.

If you want to get them because you're a nail biter or currently have short nails you want to glam up for an event, go for it. What I remember from HS, is that you should ask for them to be super thin and on the shorter, more natural looking side.

My personal take on them is that they usually look SUPER tacky. I also think that they are very out of style right now--short with muted colors are all the rage in NYC apparently--but I do know some people really like the fake nail look, so really to each their own.
    Anonymous

• Nah, my nails are long and real but when i get french manicures, usually they mess up a little bit in 2 weeks, and i dont like acrylic ones so i wanted to try gel now.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My nails are long and real.  I personally can't stand fake nails because I can't feel them and can't tell where my fingers end.

I use Sally Hanson Quick-Dri as a top coat and I usually put a coat on every day to maintain my manicure and prevent chipping.  I'm into my nail art so when I put a lot of work into my nails I don't want them chipping the next day.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i think cost depends on the salon, the first time i got them it was $30, then after that it was 20. I liked them, my tech was very creative so i always let her just go to town and do whatever she wanted and they always came out beautiful. i havent had them done in like 3 years though. $40 a month was just too much for me.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• where i get mind done they charge 25 for a full set (acryllic) and a refill is 15. i get my nails done every 2 to 3 weeks.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2010