How to introduce baby food with formula?

My pediatrician told me to start feeding my 6 month old baby food...4-6 tablespoons every hour and a half after a bottle. Doesn't that seem excessive? I tried it yesterday for the first time, and she barely eats a baby teaspoon. I can't tell if she doesn't like the food or just trying to get the hang of eating from a spoon. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

JennyJebs

Asked by JennyJebs at 12:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started with one meal a day, a little bit of cereal and a veg or fruit- like you said it was only a teaspoon or so at first and it took my DD a while to even get the hang of it. As amileegirl said it is really just for fun and to get them used to the whole process so don't stress over amounts or messes or any of that, just look at it as a warm up for real eating in several more months and a gradual easing into it. And don't feel like you have to get X amount into her tummy everyday or she will be starving, she still gets all her nourishment from the formula at this point. Before you know it she will be opening her mouth as wide as a baby bird and trying to grab the spoon so she can do it herself and rubbing sweet potatoes in her ear. Once we started food we realized the need for bathtime to immediately follow dinner time! LOL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Food before 1 is for experience, exploration, and fun not nutrition. So don't stress. Go right to table foods. Bsby food is a waste of money imo.    Read this:  http://www.babyledweaning.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• its not 4-6 every hour, its every day and then you move up 1-2 every day. you should get stage 1 baby fruit, and rice cereal. take a pan and heat up formula with some of the baby fruit in it and pour it in the rice cereal and save some of the fruit plain then give him some of each. keep trying everyday, he'll get the hang of it and he'll start to eat more and more as you go. make it fun too by smiling, and saying yay, and making train & plane noises.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Thank you Moms for your help, I really appreciate it. I started my daughter on sweet potato 1 and she likes it...she doesn't eat a ton, but at least she is eating. I won't stress now, thank you!
    JennyJebs

Answer by JennyJebs at 12:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2010