daughters 1st birthday party..venting

this isn't exactly a question but am I over reacting?
I sent out invitations for my little girl's first birthday about a month in advance. So far so good, everyone was rsvp'ing and I was thinking great its gonna be a good outcome & I started noticing I hadn't heard from my Moms side of the family (my grandma, my moms sisters and my cousins) which whom I pretty much grew up with my whole life. My mom calls me the other day upset telling me they are all making excuses about why they can't come & all are rediculous. I'm trying not to be upset but I feel like nextime they have something big I will not attend because its the first grandbaby of the family & they all are not coming to celebrate for no good reason, I am disappointed in them. I made the party on a sunday if I had made it on a saturday half of the other ppl would not have made it because veryone is busy on that day. Oh well, with or without them we'll have a great time

AlexxasMama

Asked by AlexxasMama at 1:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm sorry.... I do agree with you, a baby's first birthday party is a big deal (granted, more for the parents than for the baby, but still), ESPECIALLY when it's the first grandbaby in the family. And if your family members don't have a good reason for skipping it, I'd be pissed too. Just don't let it ruin the day for you, the people who really care about you and your family will be there, and that's all that matters. Have fun!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would be sad too...my in laws are kind of like that as well. It makes me sad that they don't support functions in our family.
    Like you said, have a good time, with or without them!!!!
    Anonymous

• No, you aren't over reacting. It's normal to be upset about that. My aunt didn't come to my middle child's first birthday because her cat died. Sometimes family members disappoint you and you learn their true colors. Best to live and learn from it, and remember who not to invite next time. Hope she has a blast :)
    Anonymous

• I know its probably aggravating but try to take it in stride. All our family doesnt always attend our events but I understand. There has been a time or two when I couldnt attend something of theirs.
    I'm having my sons bday party this saturday and my dad already said he's not coming, he'll mail him a card. He just doesnt feel like being around everyone and I understand. No biggie.
    Cheer up, don't take it personal.
    Have fun on babies 1st bday! We just celebrated our daughters 1st bday last month and it was great! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• right and I mean I'm not one of those Moms that goes overboard and just wants gifts from everyone (i have family members who are that way) its her 1st birthday...I want to celebrate and its actually embarassing that one whole side of my family is not attending. Granted my mom and dad are divorced and my Dads side will be there but that drama was 15 yrs ago if you can't put bad feelings aside for a little girl then thats unfortunate. Like I said if they want to miss it I will definately take a note of that and in the future not go out of my way for them...its not asking much a few hours of their time. It's their loss, we will have a great time! Thanks girls!
    AlexxasMama

Answer by AlexxasMama at 1:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• While it's unfortunate that they've decided to do whatever it is they've decided to do, but I think it's probably worth a reminder:

An invitation is not a demand to attend.

Why they feel compelled to make ridiculous excuses is beyond me, but the correct form to respond to an invitation is simple:

1. yes, thank you, I'd love to come, or;
    2. no, I regret I will not be attending.

I just don't know why people complicate this very simple social procedure.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2010