4 month old with fever

My son is 4 months old. Sunday night he woke up coughing really bad, and has a stuffy nose. I took him to the dr yesturday to make sure it was nothing else (( he has breathing issuses so i am scared about him getting anything, he has narrow passeways that they know of but they are still running test to find out if there is anything else wrong, they say his lungs look fine)) And the dr said that his lungs sounded clear and it was just the common cold. but last night after dinner, his fever went up to like 99.7, then at 3 this morning he woke up screaming, so i checked his temp and it was 101.9 i gave him some tylenol and it went down to 101.0 but ever since 8 this morning is staying between 99.7 and 100.4 Im just not sure what else to do or if i should take him to be seen again or what. Please help!
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call your doctor
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Treating the fever might not be the great idea it sounds like. A low-grade fever is often just a body killing of germs. When you lower the fever, that stops happening.

The coughing might be caused by post-nasal drip: elevating the head end of his crib (like putting a big can of tomatos under each leg at that end) can eliminate it completely.

If you're nursing, that can help, too --the suction he creates will encourage his sinuses to retract (there are muscles in sinus tissue, so even when it's congested it can be pulled back to breathe) and he'll be able to breathe more easily. Plus the milk comes with immune assistance to help him fight the virus, when his mouth 'contaminates' your breast, your breasts start making killer cells specific to the bacteria or virus he's carrying.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree, this temp doesn't seem to high, but any temp is worrisome when you're a mom. One piece of advice I learned along the way, wait between 20-30 mins to take a baby's temp after they wake up to make sure it is accurate. Using a humidifier throughout the night always helped my little one!
    LongBone

Answer by LongBone at 1:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think the temp is fine, it just shows that hes fighting something off its the bodys natural way of doing things. However if it gets above 102 I would be a little more concerned. Like when my son gets really sick his temp get up in the 101-103 range and once it got all the way up to 105.6! Thats was the scarriest night of my life, we rushed him to the er where they had a special pediatric unit and he ended up having phnemonia. You cant trust doctors sorry but previouse to that night we had him in and out of the doctors office for a week trying to figure out why he had fever and all the other symptoms he had and they kept sending us home saying it was a viurs. We ended up changing pediatricians and he has the best doctors now, he sees two different ones. Just keep an eye on him and as long as hes keeping down the tylenol then he should be ok. Gl hope he gets better.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 5:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2010