This question is for preschool teachers or daycare center workers...please answer?

This question is for preschool teachers or daycare center workers...please answer?What elements or features of the classroom are important in supporting learning. I am doing a homework assignment for a Early Childhood Education and need to find some feedback and thoughts on what teachers beleive to be important when teaching ages 3-5. Thanks.

caydenmom08

Asked by caydenmom08 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• People who genuinely care for the child. Everything else --EVERYTHING else-- is fancy extras that cannot make up for the lack of caring.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Helping them develop their social skills or social development. Help them learn to work with others, learn how to join a group, use their words instead of physical retaliation, learn to play and cooperate with others, etc.... That is the first skill they need when they start school. Children that are behind in their social skills have a much more difficult time.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• When I worked at a daycare we set it up in centers and made every aspect of the room a learning space. Every aspect is a learning opportunity. Even the teachers and care providers are an important learning tool. The way a teacher dresses, responds to a child, tone of voice, how the teacher interacts with the children, what cultural messages a teacher sends (like if she encourages girls to play with the kitchen things and boys to play with the blocks). I prefer the work space of a school that models everything after the true Maria Montessori method. Where every single inch is a learning space. I also like their learning philosophy. As a former day care provider, nanny, and now therapist and mom - I look for a school that follows the Montessori method. If you are in Child development, if you have not read Montessori's work yet, it is very important to do so. Even my play therapy methods are modeled after her methods.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Another option is to look into Piaget's philosophy. Children develop as they go, not necessarily depending on their age. Children are unique individuals. They aren't square pegs fitting into square holes like most preschools and daycare centers operate. While they offer a variety of learning centers and opportunities, they usually have a rigid schedule that the children need to follow. Free time is allowed but when its nap time, its nap time, schedules are tight. I've got a degree in child development and have worked for ECFE, worked with Headstart, licensed preschools, licensed daycare centers and I own my own licensed child care program. Montessori is a wonderful method but definitely isn't for everyone. There are so many different types of learning for preschoolers. You just need to find the one best for your child.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2010