incense smoke

Does the smoke from an incense stick cause the same health problems as cig. smoke? I have never burnt them in my home but we got some as a gift last week and was wondering you can burn them in the house with children? I would think the smell and smoke would be smoothering but I am not sure. Do I burn them or toss them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't burn them, smoke is smoke and although it doesn't have the toxic chemicals it can't be good for immature lungs.
    Anonymous

• OP- Thats what I though but I just wasn't sure about it. I'll put them away and maybe one day when he starts school or something. Who knows. But thanks for letting me know I was thinking right!
    Anonymous

• We burn about 10 sticks of incense on a daily basis, and our kids never had a problem with it. We even use a big bundle of sage and burn it throughout the house (known as smudging) to cleanse it spiritually. The smudging smoke is very thick, and never had issues with it either. If you fear side effects, you could open windows as you burn it, and turn on a fan, pointed at the window, to draw the smoke toward it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Forgot to mention my kids are 4 and 15, and we've been doing it since the oldest was a toddler.
    NightPhoenix

• Yuck...
    This might make you think twice about burning them or anything around children...

http://www.clinicalmolecularallergy.com/content/6/1/3
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• OP- OH WOW that was really scary to read.( On average, incense burning produces particulates greater than 45 mg/g burned as compared to 10 mg/g burned for cigarettes). That was scary to read in a way. Thank you! I'm just glad I haven't burnt any yet!
    Anonymous