What my husband did - abusive or am I overreacting?

He hit the side of my head with the back of his hand to reprimand me for forgetting to use a coaster once again. The beverage was room temperature and the glass was almost empty. He says there are no excuses since the coaster is right next to it. I have a lot on my mind and I'm a bit scatter brained at times. I apologized but that wasn't enough. I'm really disturbed by what led up to him doing it. He asked me to come over by him so he could see my hair (that was dyed that night) and when I came over to him he hit my head with the back of his hand enough to hurt...kind of a sucker punch.
I would describe the hit like what someone would do to their dog if they came home and discovered a chewed up shoe. Or say two siblings were fighting and it started to escalate. That would be the first step in escalating. He has done this a handful of times and he never has done any more than this. We've been together 11 years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm sorry for what you are going through. Clearly abuse. Hitting another adult is NEVER okay.
    Anonymous

• Me personally, I think it's abuse, I would call the cops, I don't care the reason, no one needs to hit their spouse at all.
    Anonymous

• um yeah, he doesnt have a right to hit and over a cooster? thats bs. Tell if he hits you agagin espeically over something that stupid he needs to get the hell out of the house
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I'd talk to him and tell him if he hits you in any way again, you're filing a report because you are not a dog or his punching bag. It's disrespectful to say the least and he's a growup so he should be able to handle it another way. To me it's a red flag for what may come down the road.
    Anonymous

• GET THE HELL OUT OR CALL THE COPS ITS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE
    Anonymous

• abusive.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• That's ridiculous. I'd tell him if he ever hit me again AT ALL he's going to have that coaster shoved down his throat!!!
    That's abuse.
    Anonymous

• are you really comparing yourself to a dog? i would have called the police, and left. It is only going to get worse
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 1:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Abusive, for sure. And you almost sound like you feel you DESERVE to be treated like that. Hitting is NOT okay, ever.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wanna hear all truth,,,has he hit you in any other way before this?
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2010