getting my exclusively breastfed baby to take a bottle is next to impossible!

we try every day and the most I have ever gotten her to take from a bottle is 1 oz. It is still breastmilk, but she wants nothing to do with the bottle. I use Tommee Tippee and Nuby Natural Nurser bottles. Adiri Natural Nursers were recommended to me, but I can't find any since they have been discontinued.

Any suggestions on how to get her to take a bottle? Cause momma would sure like to go to the gym!

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know how old your baby is, but she doesn't have to use a bottle bottle....she can use a sippy cup. My daughter skipped the bottle and went to a sippy cup. I could never get her to drink cows milk after I breastfed my daughter...so we just make up for the calcium with yogurt and cheese and such.
    Good luck!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• op- she is 11 weeks, so a little young for cup I think? but I am willing to try just about anything
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• You just have to leave and she will take it. The first day my DD was in daycare she refused for 6 hrs and held out until I picked her up. The second day, she learned she wasn't going to eat if she didn't drink from the bottle. She did it, they all do, it's just a matter of having no other option.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My middle one never took a bottle. I was away from him for over 6 hours one time and he didn't touch a bottle. He did drink out of a sippy cup once he was older. If you aren't going to be gone long then just go. She will either take a bottle or just fuss until you get home.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My son would drink from a bottle if it didn't have a nipple on it. He would do that pretty early(about 1.5 months). You can have someone try it. We tried everything. Including me hiding and his daddy trying to feed him.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• no offense to any of you, but there is NO WAY I could leave my baby hungry for 6 hours!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Two out of my 3 never took bottles. Drove DH and I up a tree. Everything had to be scheduled around how long baby could go between nursings. DH would watch the youngest one when I worked 2 days a week. He resorted to driving over when the baby got hungry because he couldn't stand a fussy baby for 6 hours.

Remember, it may be a pain now, but this too will pass. She won't be nursing forever, even though it seems like it now. You will eventually have greater freedom to leave her as needed.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• rhianna1708: I had to go and apply for a job. If I had known that he wouldn't eat I wouldn't have left him.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 3:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would try other nipples to see if she just likes something else better. And try having someone else give her the bottle, when you are nowhere in sight. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. You can either leave her with a bottle and hope for the best or give it a few more weeks and try again. My daughter wouldn't take a bottle at first but by the time she was about 3-4 months I tried again and she took it like she had a bottle all her life.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• JAIRATRACI, I understand there are circumstances out of our control and I don't hold those against anyone. you didn't know he wouldn't take a bottle. I know my daughter won't so I know that if I do leave her I only have about 3 hours. No one can blame you for something you didn't know would happen.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2010