How can I get my 12-month old to drink from a sippy cup..or any cup?

I have tried every cup on the market except the ones with a straw. My baby plays with the cup or throws it to the floor. I have seen him suck the liquid out, but he will only take one sip and then he's done. It doesn't seem to matter what liquid is in the cup. We've tried with and without stoppers, still no luck. We've been trying for about a month or two and still no improvement. Per daycare, he has to be done with bottles soon. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is almost 16 months and still refuses to drink from a cup. She'll do the same things, play with it, take a couple of sips, want her bottle. Recently, we tried drink boxes and she has learned how to drink from a straw and she seems to have an easier time getting liquid out the straw then the cup. I'm thinking of trying to find a cup with a straw so I can get her to drink her milk from a straw, too, and get rid of the bottles. Try a straw, maybe your son with have better luck with that.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i had to just take the bottle away from my son and now he does just fine with it so i would try that just dont give in he will soon or later drink from it!! good luck !!
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• also tey to get the set thats the transition set and theres also soft top sippies he took that one first sry for 2 enties lol
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Only give him cups, if he has no options he will eventually do it. Just have patience.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Dont worry he will do it.
    My daughters daycare stopped giving her a bottle when she went to the 1 yr old class. I still gave them to her at home. Once your son is in a class with everyone else who is drinking out of a cup most likely he will to. I went through the exact same thing with my daughter and when she got into the 2 yr old, they couldnt even have sippy cups. But at home she drinks out of a sippy cup or regular cup.
    My daughter was advance so she went to the 2 yr old class at 18 months. So they can transition easier than u think
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• just take the bottle away... get them out of your house so you arent temped if your baby is thirsty they will take a drink... DS went to bed tie night before his 1st b-day and when he woke up all the bottles were gone and we were strictly sippy cups... dont give the an option
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010