Would you chance your child being abducted?

I would not chance it at all!! Not at all!! some mom said:

Your child has more chances of being struck by lightening then being abducted.

My child is 14 and my responsibility until my child is an adult, I must know where she is am I the only one??? She gets her freedom, I teach her morals, and hopefully the mistakes she does make, she learns from it and it does not affect her future. I will not say my daughter will never, because in Realty You never know. We all hope they never, do drug, get pregnant as a teen, get a better education.

.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• What do you mean "chance it"? I don't think ANY mom honestly wants to "chance it" . I guess I don't understand the question.
    Anonymous

• Part 2:::

Another mom said you have more of a chance being hit by lightening.

My kid didn't come home until 4 hours after school ended, I was panicked and she did get grounded. I didn't know where she was.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• maybe they could make those toddler leaches for teens
    Anonymous

• unfortunately, every time my children steps out side something horrible could happen to them. I want my children to be aware of their environment and understand what could happen. I believe that I should know where my children are, get to know their friends, make sure they have proper supervision. I want my children to have a childhood, I want them to make mistakes and learn from their mistakes. Most important I want my children to know that I love them unconditionally and will always be there for them no matter what.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If my child says they will be home by a certain time and show up 4 hours later with out a phone call I would panic too!
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My son is 14. He gets to roam free around our neighborhood until dark. Then he is to be home. He has a prepaid cell phone on him just in case. He calls when he gets in from school. He calls before he goes outside. He calss before he switches places from whereever he told me last. So, in essence we are "chancing it", but, we are also prepared. By having contact. A phone available. And by me teaching him to be aware.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• according to our local sheriffs department, the comparison between being struck by lightning and a STRANGER abduction is pretty accurate.
    Anonymous

• i am the mom that said your child has a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting abducted. those are the odds...my point was to put things into perspective. i wouldn't get an ulcer over worrying about abduction...i would worry more about the things i have more control of. i don't leave my children unattended. and i don't let them play outside during a lightning storm. i would be panicked too, if my child was missing for 4 hours. the point is perhaps the ease in which news is spread globally has led us to worry over things we shouldn't worry over, when our focus should be elsewhere. hopefully your daughter learned her lesson, and understands that she frightened you badly, and won't do it again.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My daughter is 14, I have 4 kids. I also work 9am-3pm.

My daughter is falling into the wrong crowd, making horrible decissions. Is that my fault? I work hard, I have not had one parent complain about my daughter she is well mannered, very respectful, kind and loving. Sometimes it is tough, being out there and having to obey your mom and be as some idiots say: a punk.
    I was 14 and I am not blind sided. I know teens don't feel as comfortable sometimes talking to there mom. We do talk and I have her internet pass words, she knows I go in there, and I check her text. Not daily but unexpected. If I find anything inappropriate I will approach her with it. We are seaching for a place to move nicer area, better schools. My area stinks, if you lived here, you would worry too. I thought a child is molested or abducted every few minute in the united states. I may be wrong.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I prefer to look at the other side: whenever I might be inclined to let my imagination run away from my (my youngest went to the UK alone at 17, and the day she traveled from London to Glasgow was the last day we heard from her for 3 days when she'd been online daily up til then) I think a completely other way:

If the worst happens, was I the kind of mother I can live with?

I wouldn't ground a child for freaking me out --partly because to them it's getting in trouble for coming home. Mostly, though, because if the *next* thing that happened was she stomped out of the house in a fit of fury over being grounded and walked in front of a car she was too distracted to see I would never forgive myself for demolishing our relationship before she was injured (or died).

Whenever a child appears alive after I've spent time worrying, the past danger is gone, and recriminations don't alter the past. Let it go and reconnect.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2010