Is it dangerous to have pets in the house with babies?

I heard that swallowing pet hair can be life threatening for infants. Is it true? I was planning to get a puppy for my toddler but I have a crawling infant and now I don't think it's a good idea anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• people have babies and animals in the house together all the time
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 2:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• you have 2 kids and still believe this stuff?
    Anonymous

• If you trust the animal, maybe.... The hair shouldn't be an issue (unless your kid has allergies). I think it's gross, but it's not my kids or my house so...
    Anonymous

• Nope, I have both cats and dogs in my house, had them before I had a baby, and my son is just fine... Matter of fact, I think he actually has a BETTER immune system than kids who haven't been exposed to pets. However, keep in mind that a puppy is a LOT of work, and you don't know the dog's personality around kids. You'd be better off going to your local shelter and adopting a slightly older dog. That way, not only do you give a new home to a deserving dog, you will also know about the dog's temperament (they usually test them at the shelter), and an older dog will be a LOT less work for you.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Oh, and also, toddlers can be rough... If you get a puppy, your toddler could hurt it by accident a lot easier than a grown dog.
    Anouck

• The evidence suggests the opposite: kids who never live with pets are more likely to have chronic diseases of all kinds, particularly allergies and asthma.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i just read the other day that having animals around babies build up an immunity against allergies to a animal so maybe you should regoogle that and read up some i have a dog and a rabbit around my baby so as long you watch the child with the pet you should be okay i would get an older dog too because puppies are like babies they take up alot of time and effort
    Anonymous

• I don't worry about the dog hair, I do worry about the dog getting aggressive with my daughter - she is 17 months. My dog was never great with kids and we had to really spend time introducing him to the baby and getting him used to her and even today I watch him like a hawk because I know that one little thing can set off even the most well behaved dog. She would poke his eyes and ears and pull his tail if I let her because she is little and doesn't know any better. So I would just be very careful- dogs are great and a wonderful addition to the family, you just need to be prepared to really work with the dog and kids and keep a very watchful eye on things. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010