Toddler forcing himself to vomit?

I watch a 1 1/2 yr old who doesn't like vegetables... any vegetables, carrots, peas, lima beans, celery, corn, cooked or uncooked. If they get in his mouth he vomits (he's not gaging or spitting it out, it's really vomiting). At home they put his food in the food processor and he eats it like babyfood, no problem. At first I thought it was a texture thing, but uncooked carrots and cooked peas have totally different textures. I made a casserole for lunch today and he got a pea in his mouth and threw up... He doesn't usually cry or act upset except for today when he saw that i was mad (because he could have eaten the noodles etc, and not eaten the peas!). Is he doing it on purpose? Or is it involuntary? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he had inherited a problem with eating veggies and mom and dad are not helping to cure it by 'hiding' them by pureeing them. I would say it's a mental thing not a texture thing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• sounds like a mental thing to me too, I always feel bad when someones throwing up tho....its not his fault
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 2:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Actually, it's an instinctive behavior that small humans use when they're foraging for food outside their parents' supervision --they have to be able to regurgitate anything that's not settled properly to avoid being poisoned. It's also why toddlers and preschoolers are picky eaters --physiologically they need to guard themselves against accidental poisoning because their bodies don't know about the FDA yet.

It's easier to serve food to kids under 6 in separate piles. Then they can follow their body's tastes and needs without getting confused or needing to eliminate the whole meal because of something that shouldn't be there. Trust your child's body... it knows more than you realize.

Keep eating and serving the offending foods and his body will grow into the ability to digest them, and he'll be interested in eating them (unless it's become a war and then he'll be 47 and claiming to 'hate' foods he's never eaten.)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My cousin did that when he first came to live with me at 2.5 yrs old. He would put the food in his mouth and then gag. If i didn't allow him to spit it out, then he would swallow, dry heave a couple times, then vomit.

He did this for everything except unheated hot dogs and warm apple sauce. I had to just deal with it. I still served other things, and he threw them up for about 3 or 4 months. he slowly got over it, and now eats everything we eat.

I had never heard of a kid doing this before I got my cousin.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2010