What do you think of Christians who have courthouse weddings instead of church weddings?

I am 16, the mother of a 2 year old and engaged to my fiance who is 18. Our church and my mother agreed to consider doing our wedding which I wanted done between April and June. On the premarital plan they had we would find out if we COULD marry there in July. Then we could maybe start planning. We opted out of that time consuming plan and made an appointment in April to have a courthouse wedding done. Now people are acting shocked. Is my decision to use the courthouse an un-Christian choice?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with first poster. If my grandma church didn't do it on such sort notice we were going to the court house. Which dh would've prefered, but he did what I wanted for me. I really now thinking about wouldn't have minded if they didn't do it. We are married now that's all that matters. Congrats and god bless.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think that it's no one's business but your own. in the eyes of God, if you have sworn vows to each other, why does it matter who notiarized it?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree.
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I absolutely do not see a courthouse wedding as un-Christian. As mentioned by Jademom, the vows are what are important.
    Anonymous

• not at all!!!!!
    Its not about the wedding its about the commitment to eachother.
    While a nice big wedding is nice, and fun, in the big scheme of things it makes no difference. It doesn't matter where you get married, if you have a "wedding" or not ect, it matters that you and your hubs make a commitment to eachother and to God to love eachother and be there for eachother and honor it.

Ignore anyone that gives you a hard time and makes you feel any different! Enjoy this time and be excited about the new life you are about to start!
    Good luck and congrats!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• God will be at the courthouse too
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 2:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If god is everywhere, it's in a courthouse, too.

Anyone who is prepared to argue that should be asked to discuss it with their minister, or perhaps consult a dictionary as to the meaning of the word 'everywhere.'

Do what you want, and don't look for a committee of people who agree with you.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i didnt have a church wedding and no one seemed to think anything of it. we got married in a beautiful non-religious marriage chapel tho, not a court. either way you will be married. unless your denomination believes God only sees marriages that are within church walls.

no where in the Bible does it say you have to be married in a church...its just a building.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i got married in both. but i would have been k just in the courthouse. it would have save us alot of money alot
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It has nothing to do with where you are married but that you are married in the eyes of the Lord and plan on keeping the vows of marriage. Who officiates does not matter Rev. or Judge. I think a benefit to the church wedding is you may be able to get christian counseling.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2010