Census Question?

Can anyone tell me why the Census form that was sent to me would need to know if my children were adopted? They have a question about whether or not the children were bio or adopted children? I am just wondering why they need to know. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Adoption

• Because they are nosy! Honestly all they are really required to do is count you, but they feel the need to pry a little more.
    Anonymous

• its just statics, i asked my DH who works for the Census. And make sure you dont leave anything blank, because then theyll come to your door. Nothing that you put on the census can be released for 72 years.
    wife_mother1790

Answer by wife_mother1790 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• op here. I guess I should clarify I do not mind at all saying I adopted my children but am wondering why they need to know? "just statistics" does not really explain it. They don't have records of how many adoptions took place or keep any other such records so I am just wondering if there is something I am missing?

Anonymous

• Shrugs... We haven't even received a census form in the mail!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wondered the same thing.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I also wondered the same thing.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think it's just to try and get an accurate account of how many families have adopted. They may allocate more funds for adoption tax credits or more funding to foster/adopt programs or other adoption related programs if they see a need.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• DePley is correct.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• DePley the census keept no statistics about adoption in the past and it really seems like you are guessing? Do you have anything to back up what you are saying?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Well for one thing - to make sense of our answers. My husband and I both answered we are white. But we answered our child was black. So of course to clarify it makes sense we should mark he is adopted. All federal tax breaks go to families who have adopted. It would be important to know the trends of what types of families are adopting and to anticipate how many households might participate in a given year in the tax credits. Questions also arise out of results from surveys. For example: if you noticed that disproportionately white couples are adopting but minorities were less likely to adopt. Or if you noticed when minorities adopted they usually adopted within their own ethnicity or race. Very important information is gathered from just a few simple questions.  When I was in graduate school I had to use census information to understand a very specific community. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2010