Divorcing for "Government" Reasons....

Obviously a whole LOT of people lie about being married when it comes to taxes... Would you be inclined to get a divorce and continue living together as a family if it meant getting back $5,000 more a year in your tax refund? Or what about so you can get under that $29,000 income limit for Medicaid w/ the new healthcare bill???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You have to think long term, you aren't intitled to any assets if one of you dies automatically, and things can be challenged because you are not married. I wouldn't like my husband being able to say "no I'm not married"
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 2:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• nope, my marriage is not disposable
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My dad actually suggested this to my mom a while back bc of a tax loop hole for their business. She got so pissed off. All of their children are grown and it would ease a capital gains burden if they were to divorce. I think mostly she is worried about not having the legal protection of marriage with some of their other assets.
    Anonymous

• Heck yeah I would!
    Anonymous

• most likely not, Besides If we divorce then only my children and DH would have coverage not me so then I would be screwed. Yeah I agree with PP my marriage isnt disposable. My DH wouldnt get anymore back on his taxes and since i dont work neither would i.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• ***I think mostly she is worried about not having the legal protection of marriage with some of their other assets.

Thats a valid concern I would worry about that also. In the long run the 5k is not worth it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would not . We are in a solid Christian marriage and know that God will take care of us. Financial or other wise.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't, not for any amount of money.
    Anonymous