Do you already have medical insurance?

How will the HealthCare reform affect you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• notpanicking, I'm already paying for you. It's built into my high premiums to pay for the uninsured that get sick and can't pay, and please don't say you could afford a million dollar 2 step stem cell transplant and 9 months of chemotherapy... I've been paying high premiums for years, willing to for poor people I might add.

So OP, I do have insurance and from what I can tell so far is that I will get a tax break because I am paying over 9.5% of my income on insurance.... My oldest son will remain on my plan til he's 26 and my employer can't drop me if I get cancer like my sister, grandmother and 2 cousins have. They have already dropped one fellow employee who had breast cancer while working here and had it treated, she's in remission now but without his bill she'd be forced to pay out of pocket and put her into debt well into her elder years if it flared back up... Something I fear since cancer runs in my family.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• yes, i have no clue. we are a military family. we have tricare
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• We don't. We can't afford it now and won't be able to afford it when we have to buy it.
    Anonymous

• I do have it, but the plan I have is expensive, and not the best coverage. (but of course much better than nothing)
    I have been with out before.
    I have no idea how the health care reform will affect me. I honeslty don't pay much ttention to politics, but I guess now that it has passed and is not in the back and forth argument stages anymore I will look into being informed.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• yes, I do, and I am for reform. the bill falls short IMO.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• we did until a few months ago.... and now we cant get it becuase of my husband and daughter's heart problems..... so even if we cant get "regular" insurance for both of them for a few years ... we do now qualify for the govt insurance.... and I am glad that when my daughter is older she wont have to deal with being turned down for insurance because of her pre exsisting condition....
    Anonymous

• Yes, I do have insurance. It is a good plan and good coverage and we pay a good deal to keep it that way. Under the government plan, their cap is higher than what we already pay, so we will not qualify for credits. But, I do get to pay more taxes.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It's not affecting Tricare so we are good to go. And yes, I checked before posting and found more sites contradicting any fearmongering that Tricare is going away.
    Anonymous

• Yes we have full family coverage. Yes, I am for reform (this plan falls short). I am happy for all those with PECs who now will be able to freely choose coverage, move, change jobs etc...
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I do have insurance. This bill still effects me.
    a) It's going to impact my company which may directly impact my ability to be employed
    b) it's going to impact the cost of things as taxes on other companies go up
    c) I am not convinced the current tax burden stipulated in the bill is going to be the sole increase to pay for this - I expect to be hit with an increase sooner, rather than later.

The rest of the fall-out remains to be seen. I am concerned about the impact on the insurance industry. *if* they close up shop, I am impacted. I am concerned about the impact on my husband's job - he works for a pharmaceutical company. I am concerned about the impact on my children's future - this is a HUGE costly proposal and seeing how well other govern. programs work long term - medicare, USPS, Social security are all in danger of bankruptcy. Higher taxes to cover raising costs of business. Nice.
    Anonymous