If your car would break down twice a year would you get rid of it?

I spend about 1000 dollars/year since 2007 to fix my 1999 car which has 100K miles (ford ranger). Should I get a new one? The payments will cost me more per year, I figure 250 times 12 months. I don't know what to do. I get so angry every time it breaks down but I already have a car loan and mortgage, hate to go into more debt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Can you AFFORD to get another one?... If so then by all means, get one. My car breaks down once a month is seems like. LOL We cant afford a new car payment and as of right now we're trying to save up the money to get another car. Do what is best for you and your wallet.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 3:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• You should call the guys at car talk on NPR! They're hilarious and have really great advice!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• No, I wouldn't use that as my reason for getting a different car. If I 'wanted' a different car and had the money saved to buy one, then I would get one. If I had an older car, I would have that $1000 set aside for these breakdowns. Getting a $250 car payment isn't going to guarantee that the new car won't break down too. You may have a warranty on it, but what happens when the warranty is up and you are still making those car payments....and your car breaks down. That just happened to my husband...well, sort of but his car is paid for. He has a Dodge Charger and we bought it right before the economy tanked, so they weren't offering up the good warranties like they are now. His was a 60,000 mile warranty. Well when it hit 66,000 miles a couple of weeks ago, it started making terrible sounds. Ended up needing engine work! Thankfully we don't have car payments, but who would think a 3 year old car would have engine issues.
    Anonymous

• The car you have, if it's paid off, is the cheapest option right now. $1000 divided by 12 months in a year, is $83.33 a month, which is MUCH LESS than any car payment you'd have. Yes, it is frustrating; I totally understand.

We have vehicles that are over 10 years old. The Saturn has required no repairs beyond the regular wear & tear (exhaust, tires, etc.) and the Grand Caravan has needed a bit more that COULD have been avoided if we'd stayed on top of engine fluid levels, but the cost of repairs is still much less than buying another vehicle.

Try to set aside some money as often as you can for a car repair/replacement fund. It's not easy, but even $10 or $20 a week would accumulate fairly quickly.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I'd keep it. DH and I drive it until it dies. We've just recently started changing this mantra because financially we're in a place where we can. We now have an 06 Honda Ridgeline with 70k miles, in 2 years we're wanting to buy a brand new Nissan Titan.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would not get another car, what you need to do is get it all checked out, find out what is wrong, and keep up with maintenance, cause if you dont, it will keep breaking down.

I have a ford and it has never broken down, ts a 1998, but we also used advanced oil in it.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• yes and i did
    Anonymous