Do you think all teens need a cell phone or is it priviledge?

My daughter will get a phone when she deserves it, I am so tired of people saying kids need a cell phone-no it is a priveledge at least that is the way I see it. Not being rude or anything that is just the way I feel.

Hello, I never had a cell phone, what is up with the kids needing one. I think they are great but at 14 when she goes to the movies, someone drops her off and she uses my cell phone or my hubby.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• nope... it is a privelage not a right
    the only rights my child has is to food, shelter and clothing... everything else is a privelage
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• privilage!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think they do in today's world. I will give one my son as soon as he can talk so that I can call him up at daycare and find out if he ate and slept.
    Anonymous

• I think it can save children in dangerous situations to have a cell phone. My childhood friend would have been saved from drowning if we had a cell phone to call someone. I would have never got raped at 16 if I would have had a cellphone to call my dad to rescue me.
    Anonymous

• i never owned a cell until i was 19 yrs old. I would like my son to have one when he is old enough to appreciate it, but it wouldnt be some expensive phone and plan. it will be simple and mainly for my comfort of knowing he can reach me. etc If he abused it, it will be taken.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 3:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Having one will just make it that much easier for her to connect with people you don't approve of and sneak around behind your back. At 14 I had my own cell and I would call my friend's cell and tell them when my parents were asleep so their older brother would drive us around. I am not saying she would sneak out I am just saying I know from experience that it makes it easier. Plus, giving her that just because she feels entitled to it may make her think she can do whatever she wants.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think when it is age appropriate it is ok, but my DS will only have a cell that dials preset numbers and it will not have texting or internet....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• A privilege unless your kid is in an area that's not safe.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i think they need one. especially with the way the world is, your children should have a way to call 911, call you, or you call them at all times. i had a cell phone by 12.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Unfortunately kids do need one these days. There are to many times It's necessary for them to be able to call you and for you to call them. There aren't many pay phones anymore.
    Anonymous