Would you ever use a used breast pump?

Cafe Elizabeth

Asked by Cafe Elizabeth at 3:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, if I replaced the tubing and horns
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I used a rental pump. I bought new attachments for it though.

If it is a pump from someone you know, you can boil the parts to sterilize them, or do like I did and buy new parts for it. The extra parts are not that expensive.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I got a pump from the pregnancy center I just boiled all the parts
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i do
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I did. I boiled all the parts. I think people are too germaphobic these days.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• yes. why not. you can buy the shield and tubes
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• yes its comman to "rent" a nice pump from places like your physician or women and children centers etc. Not sure about names and places like that in your area. Some parts will need boiling and replacing.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 3:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• "Single user" breast pumps can basically turn your breast milk into vapor, bring it into the pump mechanism, and then process it back into the milk. The pump itself can't be sterilized. So there are some risks with using single user pumps that you've purchased used. This is why Medela, Ameda, etc. say that the Pump in Style/Freestyle/etc. pumps are not supposed to be re-sold, loaned or passed on to another mom. It's not QUITE like sharing needles as the oral/milk risk of spreading infectious disease is very low, and the risk of the milk getting mixed up is probably pretty low.. But.. Uncomfy thought for me.

Hospital grade pumps where you rent the pump, have a "sealed" pump and can be used by multiple users as long as a different "kit" is used. The kit includes the stuff such as flanges/everything that comes in contact with the milk.

Those pumps are expensive to buy. Hygeia is the only affordable multi-user pump that I know
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• yup Clean it compleetly and I see no prob with it.
    I used my bestfriends, I couldnt afford one and she was done with it at the time. I gave it back when I was done.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If I knew and trusted the person who had it before me. As Gruntlings said, there is a difference between rental pumps and regular electric pumps that you buy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2010