When you transfer a car title do they charge?

I bet they do charge when you bought it from someone else but what if its coming from my dad I was the one paying it all theses years and I got the tiel here at my address but its under my dads name since I didnt have credit at that time. Will they still charge me to get the title under my name? and do I just need my dads signature or he has to go with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• you're charged to get the registration and license plates etc switched to your name.

at least here thats how it works.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• You need a bill of sale. Here it's $18 to change the name on the title. They do it at the probate office and no, he shouldn't have to come with you.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the state.
    I think it's what hypermammaz said though. You're charged for the registration.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• in Georgia, yes. I belive it is $15 to order the new title.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Yes, it will cost you according to the sale price. Dad can sell it to you for $100.00 then you only pay according to that amount. Well in our state anyway. I suppose it depends on what state you live in.
    Anonymous

• It's $15 in California as well. The information should be on your state's DMV website. It's called a family transfer. Speaking for my own state, its not subject to the same rules that a traditional title transfer is.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2010