I have a question..........

I am going to tell you what my brother in laws DR is saying maybe you can help me make sense of it. He went in to the ER cuz he could not breath so they tell him he has to stay cuz he has fluid around his lungs and heart, now they are doing tests and they say he only has 30 percent function. What does all this mean? Now my mom in law calls and tells me to google a difibulator. Needless to say I am really confused on what all this means, what kinda treatments options. I am not asking for a medical diagnosis just confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Health

• a defribulator is what they use to get the heart going or regulated (you know the paddles they charge and put onto the chest)

sounds like pneumonia - fluid on the lungs.
    Anonymous

• This sounds kind of scary. Fluid on the lungs and heart can be caused by congestive heart failure. "30% functioning" could be because he has some blocked arteries (google "atherosclerosis"). These things lead to heart attacks, and as the PP mentioned, a defibrillator is used if the heart stops beating. I hope your brother is ok!!!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• See thats what we thought they no he he had bronchitie 2 weeks ago and now this!! Now they are doing stresstets and sonagrams... TY
    Anonymous

• A difibulater keeps the heart pumping at a regular pace, so that his blood flows through the body properly. 30% out of 100% function isn't very good at all. His body isn't getting enough blood an oxygen throughout the body as it should. They would probably do breathing treatments and different cardio excersises after he gets the difibulator. Just to make sure that it is doing it's job. He might have to get the fluid drained to take the pressure off of his heart and lungs.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• "A difibulater keeps the heart pumping at a regular pace, so that his blood flows through the body properly."

I think you're getting this confused with a pacemaker. A defibrillator is the two paddles you see in the movies that attempts to "jump start" the heart by passing strong electrical pulses through it. They do not drain fluid associated with congestive heart failure/heart attack.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• TY guys
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2010