A few friends said an epidural didn't make much of a difference in the pain, is this true?

Mrs1st

Asked by Mrs1st at 3:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Uhm...what...?! They sliced me open, and I didn't feel anything but what felt like a feather go across my belly, and of course pushing and pulling when I had my daughter and twin boys via c sections. I somehow doubt they were able to feel anything! lol
    Anonymous

• NO its not true,
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I had epidurals with my first two kids well before I felt a thing but with my twins I almost didn't get to the hospital that my hospital had transferred me to in time for an epidural. I can say the epidural made all the difference in the world to me. The contractions hurt so bad I don't want to even think about how much more the actual birth of the twins would have been without the epidural.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• worked great for all three of my C-Sections. I didn't feel a thing!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Everyones experience is NOT the same. How your body reacts to it may not be the same as your friends. My experience:
    Ds#1 Epidural....No pain. Sluggish, dazed and confused after birth.
    Ds#2 Epidural.... Slight pain (He had a HUGE head). Blacked out after birth. I still remember nothing between the umbilical cord being cut and waking up in the recovery room.
    Ds#3 NO Epidural....Hell, but I was up and on my feet attempting to breastfeed not even 4 hours after he was born.
    DD Epidural.... PAIN! I could feel every contraction, I was told not to push although it was all my body wanted to do. I also passed out for 6 hours straight. On the video Dh took, I was so drugged I was babbling, drooling and falling out of the bed. I have no memory of it.

How you react to the drugs you'll be given is dependent on alot of factors. Just breathe and do what you think is best for you and your baby.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I gave birth to my son with no epidural and with the twins a partial one. And the difference is amazing!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i had an epidural with dd and guess what it didnt work at all. it actually made contractions more painful and stronger not to mention they started to come faster. i got the pi at 7cm and it took me 3 hrs to get to 10 from there and i was in so much pain . he doctor took the epi off and asked if i wanted to try again. i said hell no. with ds i got the epi. at 4cm and i felt no contractions nothing. at around 6 cm i got the urge to push and 30 mts later i was 10. i pushed fine, with both kids. i pushed for less then 8 mts with both. but i learn one thing epidurals dont always work so be prepared for anything
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• The contractions were easy but during delivery I thought I was being ripped in half.
    Anonymous

• There are rare people that some anesthetics just don't work for. You can ask any dentist, and they'll tell you about a few patients that just aren't at all affected by novocaine.

It happens, but it's not common.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• she's crazy! jk - I had an epidural, and did not feel a damn thing!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2010