What are the positive aspects of health care reform?

In your opinion why do you think it was a good idea?

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Again, I will ask to to be more specific. Reform in general, or this particular bill?
    Anonymous

• So over all theese healthcare posts...but I ditto the above
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• The new health care reform bill that was just passed
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• positives are IMO:
    *Everyone will have access to healthcare
    *Ins. co. can't deny you by age or pre existing conditions
    *YOu will have to be a citizen to receive health care
    *wellness care will be with out co-pay

YOu want the negatives to?
    Anonymous

• Excerpted from http://www.globalshift.org/2010/03/so-what-does-health-care-reform-mean-for-you/

"Insurance companies will be barred from putting a limit on coverage, as well as barred from denying coverage due to pre-existing conditions. Nondependent children will now be able to stay on their parent’s insurance until they are 26 years old. This is targeted particularly towards college students graduating into a poor job market, so they will not have to get their own insurance without a job. There will be subsides provided to small businesses to provide insurance to their employees."

There's a lot more on the site, written in plain language.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think a positive is the inability of insurance companies to deny pre existing but then again that is most likely because I have been fighting with these companies for over 9 years now so that my son has his surgeries, check ups and speech for his cleft lip & palate... Other than that I do not know much about this exact health care reform as I have been trying to ignore all the crap people have been spewing and I keep my head in the sand when it comes to the news because I can't stand all the negative crap.....

Anonymous

• I am all for the bill but I am in the dark about SOME of the details....thanks :)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• The pre-existing condition clause and the medicare donut. Pity they couldn't just write a bill for those two things and be done with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

Yup... It is a shame they had to take it to $$$ extremes, special deals, bribery, and of course the pending Dr Fix....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• *Everyone will have access to healthcare
    People have access NOW, many just CHOOSE not to seek medical care until it's too late.

But if you have a job that offers a medical plan, you CAN get insurance--even WITH being a certain age or having pre-existing conditions (I know, because I have pre-existing conditions, and have NEVER been denied health insurance through my employer)

Except that healthcare workers will be prohibited from ASKING if you are a citizen!

*wellness care will be with out co-pay
    Many plans offer that NOW for well/annual check ups

*sigh*

BUT you'll get to pay up to $15,000 a year for a family plan, that right now costs us about $5,000 per year for a family of 4! Great, huh?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2010