do you care if kids call you by your first name?

my mom never liked being called Mrs. ____- she told the kids to call her by her first name.
I was at the school a few weeks ago and a kid asked me my name and I started to say my first name and caught myself. I told him I was Ms. ____. Then I giggled because it seemed weird.
I didn't tell him my first name because I thought that maybe it was against the school rules or something-
what do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am usually just Nate's mom. But to the kids at church I am Ms. Megan.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• all of our friends children call us by our first names.... and our DS calls them by theirs
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• At school kids are expected to address parents by Mr or Mrs. An occassional _____'s mom is fine, too. Day to day with the neighborhood kids I prefer just being called by _____'s mom.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I'm just Joshs' mom,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Braden's mom. or Mrs. Leslie...never by my last name. LOL Except when I was subbing at school, but, it only lasted a minute before they called me Miss Leslie.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Hey its Cam'ron's mom. I do not like my kids calling me by my first name. My son used to call me Ma'am. Like, "Hey, Ma'am, can I go outside?"... It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! I explained to him that it made me feel bad inside when he didnt call me mommy. He said he thought that Ma'am was what he was supposed to call me because its what I call my mom, his gammy. He was confused. He hears me refer to her by answering, Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am. He gets it now though.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I'm James' mom! My younger son will call me by my first name because he thinks it's funny. I just tell him "My name is Mom!" I don't get mad but I would rather they call me mom. Where I'm from, hardly anyone says "Mrs __" it's usually their first name or so and so's mom or dad. (or grandpa, son, daughter whatever.)
    Anonymous

• As a teacher, I'm used to Mrs. Lastname, but as a girl scout troop leader, they use my first name. I prefer Mrs. Lastname.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• yes... I feel it is rude for a child to call an adult by their first name with out some sort of title. The small kids call me Mrs. 'last name', the teens call me mama 'first name' AFTER I have known them a while and invited them to do so... other wise they too start out with Mrs. 'last name'. I dont allow my kids to call the coach by their first name even when invited to do so... they must say coach 'first name'. It is all a matter of respect.
    Anonymous

• I think it is just respectful for kids to call you by your first name. I think they wouldn't know because their parents don't think to teach them anymore but you should still tell them you are Ms. Lastname. Don't say it awkwardly or pause just sat thats my name. They don't call their teacher by their first name why should they do it to you. I am a teenager and I still don't feel right using first names to certain people older than me, just out of respect for them.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2010