How do you get a two year old to nap!

My two and a half year old son has a hard time taking naps. He won't sleep if he has toys so I only let him have his stuffed animal. Lately, he has been climbing out of his crib and getting toys and then climbing back in. He plays quietly but I know that he still needs a two hour nap. If he doesn't sleep, he gets sooo unmanageable later in the day. He won't listen and cries easily. He is just so cranky! How can I get him to nap? We go out every morning to the gym so I can work out and he plays in the nursury with his friends, then I take him to the park or the library or just outside. I know he is tired but he just won't sleep. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't make him nap, but you can try to help him get to sleep. What about rubbing his back?? My 2.5 yr old naps, I read him stories, sing to him and rock for a few mins and then put him in his bed and he goes right down. GL
    Anonymous

• PLAY WITH HIM...
    take him out side let him run around, play games with him. get him exhusted, im pretty sure after a nice warm bath, he'll take a good nap.
    thats what i do with my son, we enjoy playtime with eachother
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• make sure he gets up early or stay in his room until he falls asleep
    Anonymous

• I nap with him ;) Works like a charm he climbs right up onto my bed and he is ZZZZZZ in ten minutes then I can just nap too or build a pillow nest around him and go do chores! Good Luck and give it a try I bet you'll like it. He is the only kid I know that NEVER cries/wines when you say NAP.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 12:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2010