What is the best tool for cutting a garden border (new to landscaping and cannot afford to hire someone)

I have adopted 5 neglected flower gardens with our new?old house. I am skilled at vegi gardens but know nothing about cutting grass to shape up borders -What tool is easiest and best? What borders work best? I also want to get rid of the mulch ack! and replace with something. We live in the desert climate of Eastern Wa. I think it is a zone 7

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have flagstone around my landscaping areas. When the regular grass is trimmed with an edger or weed whacker, the flagstone protects the flowers/plants/bushes from getting whacked. I love the look of natural rocks and the rocks last forever..

I like mulch because the brown color contrasts from the color of the grass. Just a thought. You can replace the mulch with pebbles. This will contrast with the grass and though it may be costly, it is forever and you will end up getting your moneys worth. Lay down weed fabric first because picking weeds out of pebbles is blah!

You can plant monkey grass along all of the edges to border your flower beds. This is a small grass that doesnt really die and if you trim it with the weed trimmer its not too bad and it regrows. You have to consider cost here because with 5 beds you will need alot.

GL! I was outside to day just dreaming of all the plants to buy this year.

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Oh one more thing......I have gotten huge limbs from neighbors and used them as natural borders and mixed it with the flagstone. No its not just a pile of mess...LOL Some of the limbs are curved and have a nice natural shape. Hey gotta be thrifty with 3 kids sometimes. The limbs will decompose but there will always be more around the corner.

Give me trash and I will make art! Im embarrassed.......
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2010