Help with abcess tooth and throwing up 4 year old.

My son stayed awake all night complaining with a tooth ache.This morning he complained with his chin.I took him to the dentist and when we got there his temp was 99.8.They told me he had an abcess and pulled the tooth.Since then he has complained with bad headache and stomach pain.He started throwing up around 1:30pm.He is very pale and can't keep even a sip down.When he lays flat on his back he screams with pain.I called the dentist back and he said that this isn't related to the abcess.I called the doctor and they can't get him in today.He has finally went to sleep about 10 mintues ago.A stomach virus is going around in his class.My concern is could it be the medicine they gave to numb the gums. Please give your input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Health

• Could be the meds, could be the infection, could be unrelated. did they give him antibiotics?
    I would say take him to er if it doenst get better or gets worse only becasue of todays stuff to be sure.
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think its unusual for them to pull an infected tooth without being on antibiotics first to prevent the spread of the infection. Do you think that could have anything to do with it?
    It could be the stomach flu from school to, but I would wonder about the infection.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Did they give him antibiotics? They may have given him too high a dose and he is having antibiotic poisoning. My son had an absess on his tooth and the dentist gave him antibitotics and pulled it. He was acting the same way afterwards and I took him to a pediatrician that was going to give him more antibitotics until I finally got her to realize that he just got off them. So, she finally asked what mg the pills were and when i told her, she said he had to high a dosage and had to give him some active enzymes for him to ingest to build them back up in his system.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Kimberly is right that they shouldn't pull teeth without giving antibiotics because the infection can spread very fast after the tooth is pulled. The local they give to numb the gums would never cause the reaction you're describing, especially not fever. I would call the dr (not dentist) back and tell them you have a very sick toddler and demand to be seen. Mine always squeezes me in when I stress how young my child is out how sick they are.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They didn't give him any antibiotics before or after.My hubby also had a absessed tooth pulled but they did give him a presription of antibiotics to take later.
    Anonymous

• Did they tell you about cleaning it out very well? Since he had no antibiotics, take him to the doc and get some.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010