Okay, so what is a Democrat, a Republican and a Liberal?

I'm new to this so I'm trying to figure out where I stand.
What am I? I agree with much of what President Obama has done but I wouldn't hesitate to go out on a limb and not agree with something he is proposing.
What is a Republican?I don't know.
Does this make me a Liberal?
What are you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Democrats and Republicans are political parties, and either refer to the citizens who vote one way or another, the candidates who represent the parties, or the actual people employed by the parties.

Liberals and Conservatives are ideologies. Liberals ascribe to give a man a fish, conservatives are more teach a man to fish in terms of fiscal beliefs. Liberals are socially more hands off, if it doesn't hurt anyone go ahead and do it, while conservatives are more socially nosy - no gay marriage, no premarital sex, etc etc.

You can be a conservative Democrat or a liberal Republican, but usually, liberals are Democrats and conservatives are Republicans. Very few people are ALL liberal or ALL conservative. Most people mix and match and land somewhere in the middle, which makes them moderates ideologically and Independents politically.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Thankyou! That has cleared up a lot for me.
    Anonymous

• Okay, so what is a Democrat, a Republican and a Liberal? I'm new to this so I'm trying to figure out where I stand. What am I? I agree with much of what President Obama has done but I wouldn't hesitate to go out on a limb and not agree with something he is proposing. What is a Republican?I don't know. Does this make me a Liberal? What are you?

it makes you an independant who can think for herself. Welcome to the club

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2010