Does your husband/SO have a problem if your son does this?

Last night my 4 year old told my mom he was going to fix her hair. First he piled it on her head, then pulled it up in a sort of ponytail thing and told her it was like a donkey. Then he said he was going to fix it like Shrek (which is odd since he doesn't have hair) Then he got his toy boat and was pretending to comb her hair with it. I made a comment that maybe he wanted to be a hairdresser. His dad looked at me and said "Come here son lets go play football" I thought it was so funny when my son answered, "No I have to fix mom's hair now." and he told his grandma to go check her hair in the mirror to make sure she liked it! Then his dad said "Son, why don't you eat some boogers or something?" I thought it was so funny his dad was so threatened by his son playing with our hair! Does your man let your son engage in "girl play?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• hubby has no problem at all with it.
    Anonymous

• My SO couldn't care less... They're just kids, it doesn't mean anything!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Oh, absolutely not. SIL send some stuffed animals (yes, a couple were girly, she let her 4 young DDs pick a fluffy for my DS) and DH threw them away as soon as they came out of the box. LOL. Talk about threatened!

We immediately went to walmart for some stuff we needed around the house, DH pulled our "Baby Buckin' Machine" off the shelf and said he can have that from his Uncle B instead. It's one of those little zebras that's on a pedestal that spins and bounces... lol.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• SIL, that's sister- not son- lol
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Yes and no. His family has more of a problem with it than anything. Which is odd for more than one reason. One time at their house, DS wanted to watch Cinderella. MIL said no, with the justification that my DH would have a problem with it. I told her we're not imposing gender stereotypes and it's okay for a 3 year old to watch a cartoon with a girl and a prince on it. They were pissed we told them not to paint his fingernails anymroe. He didn't ask them to, they just did it. But on the other side of this they go on and on about how since our baby daughter "growls" and how she has gained weight faster than our son did as a baby, that means she will be a tomboy and "beat up" our son. It's so wierd how they are, I can't stand to visit.
    Anonymous

• Nope, he's not threatened or bothered. In fact, in a discussion about this one day, his exact words to me were, "He can play with whatever he wants, however he wants. It's no indication of anything except that he wants to play with that toy in that way. Who cares? And besides, if that's the way (son's name) is, I'll take him to the gay club myself. As long as he's happy, I'll welcome anyone he brings home that he loves." Yet another reason I love that man. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• That guy sounds a wee bit homophobic. Like little Johnny playing with a girl's hair will make him gay. Little kids play with whatever. My youngest loves stuffed bunnies. My fiance has no problem with that whatsoever.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 7:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2010