can my dd get kick out of school for refusing to do work and goofing off?

i have a dd that hs developed a major attitude. she has stopped listening to us her teachers and everyone. she refuses to do work and plays around the whole school day. the teacher is calling home all the time she is just about staying grounded. and it's not helping. her class is going on a field trip and as it stands right now she is not allowed to go.she is 10 years old and in the 4th grade.

would they kick her out? or let her stay and continue to try and work with her? she is also doing her best to get kicked off the bus.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was going to say that sounded like me in HS and the cause was weed and socializing... until I read she's 10! Holy hell... Nip that in the bud before she ends up totally effed up in her teen years. In my state they have that whole no child left behind state of mind. Which is ridiculous if the child doesn't pass or learn anything. I forced my child's school to keep him in 1st because I didn't want him to go onto 2nd and be totally behind. It's a domino effect. Make sure they keep her in 4th grade until she learns. Eventually she'll do her work because she'll be tired of losing friends and being in the same grade. My son's school has tutoring which has helped him loads. Also find out why she's acting this way. She may not be able to read the board bc she needs glassses, or she doesn't understand what she's learning. It could be any number of things. Try talking to her first off.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 6:02 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I think you should get her some help... this behavior sounds like it is out of control. If they want to kick her out and she is only 10 I would worry less about what they are and are not allowed to do and focus on what YOU can do to get her help and back on track. If her behavior is this bad at such an early age she needs help.... and grounding is obviously not working.

Luck!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Sure they can kick her out, but she won't be going home, she'll be going to juvi. That's what they do to the problem kids in my area.

-xoxo-

Answer by -xoxo- at 4:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't blame them if they did if she's disrupting the class and making problems for others to learn. I agree with the PP. The kid is obviously having some issues and needs some help, but I wouldn't blame the school for kicking her out if they did.
    Anonymous

• She can be suspended, but not expelled unless she does something major. She will, very likely fail 4th grade, punishing everyone -- herself, you, and the school. She clearly has some sort of issue not being dealt with. The school will do what they can, but the majority of it falls to you, Mama.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Was this a fairly sudden change? Like over a few weeks or months? Look at her surroundings. Has anything changed in her life. Moving? A death? A new baby? New friends? Any sign of potential sexual abuse going on? Kids don't generally go from all is well and folllowing the rules to tatolly oput of control without a reason. She's 10 so there are some hormonal changes going on too. First thing is lokk at her surrounding. Then take her to a Dr. Rule out a medical issue/imbalance first. Sit down and speak with her..not at her..TO her.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• sheesh..should read * totally*
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They could kick her out. However, if they are a good school with a good staff, they will try to figure out a way to prevent her behavior,work with her (and you) to figure out why she is behaving this way and put a plan in place to get her back on track.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• this is nothing new. she started acting out since she start school. but it's getting worse every year that she goes. she has also gotten a little worse when my mom moved across the street. my mom has started talking to her a lot about death with i have repeatedly told her not to. she had not choice but to make new friends when hers left her when she failed the 1st grade she stopped trying then because a 2nd grader told her it was harder then first.

she is more interested in making friends then doing the work. ADHD and ADD have been ruled out since the only time she acts like this is when she has to do school work or chores. you have to beg her to play and she gets mad when you will not let her set in front of a tv all day. so she has been grounded form the tv for most the school year.
    Anonymous

• I would take her out of school.. Period. She needs a wake-up call. Going to school should be a privilege. Maybe she wants to be taken out of school? Then show her what its like to stay home all day & be taught by your parent, no lunch. no gym class. just mom 24/7 looking over your shoulder. ..

Maybe she is not responsible or mature enough to be away from the family yet...

Its not fair for the other kids at school. your child is disrupting their education & (not trying to be mean at all!) it is disruptive kids like that that are making me & dh question if we want our dd in school or not.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2010