How many bags of trash does your family of 4 produce in a week?

I feel like we make way to much trash. I know a lot of it is diaper but that is only about 3-4 a day anymore since she is starting to potty train. It just seems excessive. 4 or 5 tall kitchen bags-full. How can we cut back? Can you. I mean if your food comes in cans and boxes and bags...Even the meat has that foam try and plastic.... any ideas. How much do you make?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have no room to recycle unfortunately, so I try to produce as little trash as possible. Our family of 3 - mom, 2 kids - produces about 4 bags a week. I repurpose items when I can.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• About 2 . We recycle all glass, most plastics and all paper and boxes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Since we started recycling a few years back waaaay less. Our garbage is never full at the end of each week and there's 4 people in this house.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 4:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• OP:: I would like to recylce but the center around here is about 40 min away and they don't do pick up. Our trash goes to a trash center 15 min from the house. (WE are in the boonies)
    Anonymous

• Composing your food waste makes for a lot less garbage.

Elizabeth
    Baby Signs
    http://www.babysignswithelizabeth.blogspot.com
    cuddlemonkeez

Answer by cuddlemonkeez at 4:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Wow Girl!  That is nothing.  I have a family of 5 and we go through at least 7 to 8 bags a week.  In fact, where I live, they come pick up our trash twice a week which is a good thing! 

wlrahilly

Answer by wlrahilly at 4:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• We are a family of 4, a kid in pullups. About 2 -4 bags a week (depends on how much clearing out of the garage we do). We also recycle all that we can.
    Anonymous

• You have to recycle. You just have to... whatever it takes. We are a family of 4. We potty trained early, so our 3 year old has one pull-up a night and our 18 month old no diapers. But I think we only have about 2 kitchen bags a week (I think it's more like 3 every 2 weeks, and we only put that out every 2 weeks because we have to pay for garbage, while recycling is free). But recycling makes all the difference. Our recycling bin is more full than our garbage bin when we put them both out after two weeks. See if you can go in with some neighbors on trips to the recycling center. A friend of mine goes so far as to mail me her #7 plastics (Gerber food containers) because we can recycle them here).
    Anonymous

• It varies - some weeks we have none to put out & other weeks we have 1 or 2. We do recycle plastics, glass, tin & aluminum, plus we compost most food scraps & doing all this cuts way down on our trash. Magazines are donated or recyled, as are newspapers & we shred a good bit of our mail to use as the dry material for our compost bin. We also break down the few boxes that we have that aren't recyleable so that they'll take up less space in the trash & choose products that have the least amount of packaging to cut down on unneccessary waste. We use our own bags when we go shopping (everywhere, not just grocery shopping), so that cuts down more on the plastic brought into the house, too.

A 40 min drive to the recyling center is nothing - my DH makes a once a month trip to ours & it is over an hour a way. We haul for our neighbors, too, and my DH does a bit of scrapping on the side for a little extra cash.
    Anonymous

• We are a family of 6 and we had tons of garbage until we began recycling. Now I am always amazed at how little garbage we have. We recycle all plastic, including grocery bags, all glass, cans, and cardboard. Now we hardly have any trash...and a wonderful feeling knowing we prevented all that crap form lying in a landfill somewhere. We only get one earth!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010