Government/Laws and Christians

So, I have a question for Christians, how do you as a Christian follow Romans 13, How do you see obey or subjection to Authorities in light of this Scripture?
Roachiesmom asked that I post this as a separate question so here it is

lisarose45

Asked by lisarose45 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If I like it or not the law is the law and so long as it is not asking me to deny God, or worship false Gods I will follow it as best I can.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• So I'll say right off that I'm non-Political and we pay out taxes and don't protest what the Government spends it on and we (as JW's) obey the laws of whatever Country we live in unless they conflict with God's laws. This is because we view ourselves as Citizens of God's Kingdom under Christ Jesus as our King. this was a stance that the First Century Christians also took.
    They were no part of the world and viewed themselves as Citizens of that Kingdom first and foremost.

I'll post References showing this below
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• “Early Christianity was little understood and was regarded with little favor by those who ruled the pagan world. . . . Christians refused to share certain duties of Roman citizens. . . . They would not hold political office.”—On the Road to Civilization, A World History (Philadelphia, 1937), A. Heckel and J. Sigman, pp. 237, 238.
    “The Christians stood aloof and distinct from the state, as a priestly and spiritual race, and Christianity seemed able to influence civil life only in that manner which, it must be confessed, is the purest, by practically endeavouring to instil more and more of holy feeling into the citizens of the state.”—The History of the Christian Religion and Church, During the Three First Centuries (New York, 1848), Augustus Neander, translated from German by H. J. Rose, p. 168.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I obey the laws of the land unless they conflict with those of God's. If something is a requirement that goes against my conscience, I will not do it.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I obey the laws of the land. I also obey God's laws. I have opinions, but I'm not political.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i obey both laws
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• No I do not and here is why. Times change, what was relevant back then is not now. Back then religion was the authorities to a greater degree. Now days not so much. Though they have a lot of imput we are a free country not governed by religion. I do not necessarily break laws though however if you say we should all follow stricked to government then you are saying any one who has ever had an unpaid ticket is not following what god says. Also let's say an atheist came into power no offence to atheist here. This one tries to say we are all to be atheist would you listen. I know I wouldn't. As well from what I remember the anti-christ is suppose to be in a position of power. I will never listen to him if I'm left behind. He can kiss my toosh sorry. If you ask me though I know a few atheists who say if he does truly come they will kill him. I wouldn't doubt they could. I say if it comes stand back and watch that because atheist
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I know don't bow to any one including the anti Christ.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Atheists wont be able to kill the anti Christ hot mama :-) No athiest will. They will be too busy trying to stay alive or turning to Christ one of the two :-)

The passage I read it in The Message and basically it is speaking to the Christian Romans who needed encouragement on how to obey the current laws of the land. We too should do the same. The only time you don't is if you are being forced to deny Jesus or die. I will choose to die rather deny the one I love.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree with it. Now if the government tells me to sin against Yahweh in anyway I will not do it. Especially when the mark of the beast comes I will NOT get that even if it costs my life. Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2010