Breastfed & Sleeping

Hi Girls,
My baby boy is 6 weeks old. I am strictly breastfeeding him. Lately, he has been sleeping 4 to 5 hours a night. Is this too long for him to go without feeding? I am glad he is letting me sleep, but sometimes I wonder if I should be waking him up to feed him. Any thoughts on this would help!

Thank you!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 4:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lucky. let im sleep
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Let him sleep :)

Elizabeth
    Baby Signs
    http://www.babysignswithelizabeth.blogspot.com
    cuddlemonkeez

Answer by cuddlemonkeez at 4:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• No thats really good that hes sleeping that long. It took us over a year to get our son to sleep that long through the night so luck you! I would feed him right befor bed and then as soon as he wakes up and you will be fine. Good job on the whole nursing thing, I think its great that moms nurse
    Anonymous

• I had the same question as you when my daughter started sleeping through the night. It is really a personal choice. The doctor will probably tell you to wake him and feed him. I agree with others though. Don't wake him. As soon as my daughter would sleep longer at night, I let her. That was at about 1 month old. She is now 6 months old and still sleeps through the night. I figured if she was really that hungry she would wake up and if she is gaining weight then she is healthy. Just be ready when he wakes up, cause he will want that nipple before anything else!
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• thank you girls! :)
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 5:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If you are changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, and he is gaining weight, and of course nursing well during the day, then there is no need to wake him.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• As long as his weight is healthy and you're changing enough diapers, you're good. Don't be surprised if it doesn't last though--it seems like whenever we get used to one sleeping pattern, it changes a week later :) Enjoy it while it lasts!!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Don't be surprised if it doesn't last though--it seems like whenever we get used to one sleeping pattern, it changes a week later :)

^^this is true^^
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010