Has there always been this much controversy over circs or is this recent?

I just never heard such passion about this subject! TO my knowledge circs have been around for ages and ages. Has it always been a 'issue' or am I just way out of the loop.

Not interested in fights just a simple question.

Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Prior to the 50's or so, circ'ing an infant wasn't the norm (typically the only child who was circ'd was Jewish), then medicine stepped in and said circ'ing is better for the boys, then it became the norm and then medicine reversed their recommendations to say it either doesn't matter or was worse for the boys so now, while the majority still circ, it is once again becoming more accepted to not circ.

So, to answer your question, yes, the controversy is relatively recent....I'd say it probably started sometime in the mid- to late nineties or so.
    Anonymous

• It was an issue when my oldest was born in 2001. I didn't know much about it before that point. I figured it was just something everyone did until I began to research and make my own opinions regarding it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• When I had my son in 1996...I was approached by the Doc and asked do I or do I not. That was right about the time the "studies" about doing it vs. not were really coming into light. My doc said, it isn't neccessary, but, 90% or more of the kids coming through there had it done. So, if that helped sway my mind. I already decided to do it, because my dad told me too. He and his brothers didn't have it done, but, a couple had issues later on and had to get it done later. So, he said save him the torture and rememberable pain. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I dont know anything about it.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010