wanting to start some fruits and veggies in the backyard...help.

so we just moved and the backyard is huge and untamed (a blank canvas with weeds lol)........I would love to make a little garden for some favorite fruits and veggies so I can teach my babies things within it.

any tips of tricks or websites that can guide me in starting this garden would be wonderful.

i would love to have strawberries, cucumbers, watermelons, tomatoes....the basics of family favs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I need this info too!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i want to start a garden too. hope you get good tips
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i read to put table cloths from Dollar store over areas of planted seeds. Not sure what it does though, they used red ones.
    Anonymous

• You've got to get rid of the weeds and till the soil. I'd pull the weeds and either burn them or put them in bags to get rid of them. If you just work them into the soil you'll end up with more weeds. Also, just because you've got dirt doesn't mean it's good for growing; good garden soil needs humus (compost) and plenty of it for nutrients. You can start with kitchen scraps, shredded newspaper, sawdust, etc. Once you've marked out an area for the garden, you can start putting the humus right on it and work it in so it biodegrades better.

Most plants prefer full sun and warm temperatures. There are a few that grow well in cool temps too.

There are many, many aspects to gardening. Check out the Fruit & Vegetable Gardening group here on CM!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• look up square foot gardening! its way easy and its a good place to start =)
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 5:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2010