Why do you care if a name chosen for a baby was a last name at some point?

My name is Leslie. That is also a last name, but, no one ever gripes about it. On here though, when some asks about a name that is also a last name, people always have to point that out. Like it is so bad. Why is it so bad?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 5:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Depends on the last name to be honest. my son's middle name is named after someones last name (Grant after U. S Grant) but i mean...Hooker is a last name but I wouldn't name my kid that lol ;)
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My maiden name is a last name that sounds like a last name. But recently it has become a popular first name. It still sounds funny to me when I hear it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Well, I mean there are some names that can be used as first names. But, I see mom's on here say "It's a last name" about even the interchangable ones. My sone is Braden(named way back before it bacame so damn popular) lol and I have seen it as a last name. My name too. Now, my last name is Ledbetter, I can see not using it and saying something. But not about every name. I'm just curious why complain about ok ones?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My middle name is Lindsey, which is my mom's maiden name. Lindsey in an INCREDIBLY common name, and no one has ever said anything about it. :-) Guess I'm just lucky. LOL

On the other hand, there are some REALLY STUPID ones that I have heard, and that could be the reaction people are giving, just to mask the fact that they simply don't like the name.. Just an idea. :-)
    Anonymous

• Maybe so. Like I saw a post about the name Adler earlier. Instead of saying "I don't like it", someone just said.."It's a last name". I just thought that was weird.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I love surnames as first names, especially for boys. There are many common names that people don't realize are surnames, examples:
    Morgan
    Garrett
    Elliott
    Ryan
    Landon
    Addison
    Avery
    Keegan
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2010