Which breast pump?

I want to know from women who have used more than one brand of breast pump, which ones did you use, and which one did you like better.

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DO NOT get an Evenflo. That much I can tell you with certainty. Medela is a good pump, I've never heard of anyone having issues with a Medela. What will you be using it for? Occasional bottle, part time work, full time work, exclusive pumping. Different pumps suit different needs better then others.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• yes i agree with krysta i used that with my second child and wanted to throw it at a wall lol i just bought a mipump and i hope its better lets cross our fingers i will let ou know how it gos!!
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I plan on pumping quickly so I can feed more quickly at night. Last baby took 45 minutes each feeding and I think if I pump and feed bottles at night I will get more sleep, I hope.
    karina400

Answer by karina400 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I had a medela single pump last time and it was awful. It would pump and pump and barely get any milk. It was more uncomfortable than actual nursing.
    karina400

Answer by karina400 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I loved my medela!!! it lasted through pumping for three kids. and still works (passed it on to a friend when I was done and she's using it for her 3rd baby too) so its been going straight for about 9 years.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• evenflo!! ugh horrible horrible
    first years both elcrtic broke after the first month
    medela pump in style!! awsome
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Medela Pump in Style all the way! There's a new one with a soft shield for it. I haven't heard any feedback about it though.

I have an Avent manual one too. i've never had issues with that one, it just has way too many parts and it has to be put back together just the right way.

I'd also advise to do what you can to get discounts! I was able to save like $85 on mine at Babies R us, It was on sale and I had a coupon! My cousin said that she called Medela for hers (I guess there was some sort of issue) and ended up getting hers for free!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 6:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I had more success with the Medela Pump in Style then the regular Medlea electric one. But remember, some women just don't respond well to the pump, so your plans MIGHT go right out the window. AND, this baby might not take 45 mins to nurse at night. Also, be careful of nipple preference. My suggestion is to not use the bottle for at least 6 weeks if you don't have to, that way nursing is well established.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• "I plan on pumping quickly so I can feed more quickly at night. Last baby took 45 minutes each feeding and I think if I pump and feed bottles at night I will get more sleep, I hope. "

Um. Well. Sorry, but no, you won't. See...you will still have to get up and pump for every one of those night feedings. And pump for 15 minutes.

AND you might do serious damage to your supply if you don't nurse at nifght. That night nursing is really vital.

You'll get to sleep. Um....let's see...mine is ten years old now..no, I don't get any sleep right now...what did my mom tell me?

Oh, yeah.

You get to sleep in the grave. Price of admission to the mom game. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 9:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• What are you thinkin'? Pumping and then bottle feeding at night? Nursing at night is one of the top advantages of breastfeeding. Pumping sucks.

I agree that night feedings are very important for supply. I think you should rethink your plan.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2010