Say I'm not married and I am unemployed (regarding healthcare bill)

Say I live with my fiance and we are not yet married and I am a stay at home. What does the health care bill mean to me? How could I be forced to pay for insurance that I obviously have no money for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• User this calculator to figure it out.

cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 6:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I am in the same boat as you. I would also love to know this. How can I pay for it if I have no job. Is my SO supposed to pay or do I just get fined? Not that I could afford that either??
    kitten914612

Answer by kitten914612 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• 5 years from now the status of your relationship might change. Worry about then.

You might be gainfully employed paying for that insurance yourself.

Anonymous

• I tried to use the calculator, but it is not very specific. My fiance made $38,000 last year. He and my daughter are insured, but I am not. I am a stay at home mom and as we are not married, I am not on his policy. Will I be fined for not having insurance? I am very healthy and rarely get sick. I haven't been to the doctor since I was pregnant. My daughter is two. Other than Planned parenthood which I go to once a year and pay cash for a Pap smear. Other than my annual pap smear, I see no reason to have to pay monthly for coverage that I don't need. Especially if insurance can no longer deny anyone with a pre-existing condition, wouldn't it make more sense for me to only get insurance in the case that I came down with an illness?
    Anonymous

• Means you have to get put on medicaid in 2014 when it is eligible.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• So none of this matters until 2014?
    Anonymous

And that's a loophole that won't be abused, not at all!
    Anonymous

• Especially if insurance can no longer deny anyone with a pre-existing condition, wouldn't it make more sense for me to only get insurance in the case that I came down with an illness?

Sure, I will pay with my tax money for when you brake your arm cause you decided not to pay for it in advance.
    Anonymous

• And that's a loophole that won't be abused, not at all!

Was this meant as sarcasm?
    Anonymous

• Well, depends, if you want to claim your fiances income as the head of household then in 2014 you can get a credit to help you buy health insurance. Your premium will still be about 3k and you will have about a 20% cap on out of pocket. You are required to the insurance if you don't you can be fined a little less than 700 dollars. If you do not claim your fiances income as head of household then you shouldn't face fines I can't promise that. But you will not be able to get anything till 2014.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2010