Would you throw it or use it?

I have a can of spinach in my pantry it says best by Nov. 11, 2009 should I use it or throw it away it is in a can.
I mean is that an expiration date or what?

Thanks ladies :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would toss it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• if i noticed it i would toss it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Toss it!
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• get rid of it!
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 6:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of color and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° F and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, not dented or bulging, it is edible.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/tcannedfoodshelflife.html
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Open it. If it looks & smells fine, use it. If it looks and/or smells ooky, toss it. I've had canned stuff that was good past the date, and I've had canned stuff that was bad before the date.
    Anonymous

• As my grandma used to say - when in doubt? chuck it out!!

I don't even mess around with stuff like that, I've had food poisoning twice in my life...I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Ugh. Yea, toss. Always follow the expiration. Food poisoning is a nasty beast!
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 4:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Toss it it is not worth is and yeah if you have had it this long I am sure no one will notice it missing ;)
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 4:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Best if used by dates are complete CRAP. they are a MARKETING TOOL that most people are NOT aware IS a marketing tool. companies put these on products in the hopes that you wil discard andbuy more. when you dont NEED TO. I would open the can. if its funky dont use it. if its not funky USE IT
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2010