Do you think our government handled this health care bill the right way?

My husband thinks that most people wanted this health bill to pass. How did you feel about the whole situation? Where you completely against it from the start? Did you agree with some things but not others? Did you change your mind somewhere along the way? Did you think the government pushed their way to pass this bill, despite many protest. Or did you agree with everything? What is your opinion?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Most people did not want it and if he looks around the news networks, all of them, he'll see the data to back that up. If this bill was passed the "right"way they would've had enough votes for it to get it done last summer instead of dragging it out with 6 more months of bribes.
    Anonymous

• I was in favor of this from the beginning, and I believe a lot of people were. It's just that all the teabaggers and right wing extremist got all the coverage, because they were acting like animals. I would have preferred a bipartisan effort, and I do believe the President wanted the same, but at this point, the Republicans would have opposed ANYTHING he proposed, so I think they went ahead the only way they could...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I really wanted a single-payer system. Not an "option," the whole system. It's more efficient that way.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I was never against reform. I think most conservatives I know believed in reform as well. I have always been against the government mandating me to purchase insurance with coverage that they determine appropriate. While I can understand why some people who don't have insurance because they either can't afford it or due to pre-existing conditions are in favor of the bill and are happy that something passed, I still feel that there is too much in this bill that will work against the people it is supposed to protect. I think smaller bills done incrementally would have made way more sense. We are a broke nation. We do not have trillions of dollars to spend on legislation. Our economy is still in the tank and I haven't seen a light at the end of the tunnel. I feel it was done the wrong way and it was definitely a power grab. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I do believe the President wanted the same,

It doesn't matter what the president wanted. It was up to Pelosi and Reid and they wanted absolutely zero bipartisanship. They have made that point clear from day one. The reason Obama did not get the input he wanted is because Pelosi forbid anything with an R at the end to be introduced on the floor.
    Anonymous

• I wanted reform. I didn't want it the way it happened.

BUT...I've been listening to some interesting talk shows about the sausage making that went into Medicare and Social Security...apparently THIS process wasn't any worse.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I am completely against it. I dont think the government should have the right to tell us what we have to do as far as buying insurance. The government is just trying to stick there nose into every situation than can. Obama should be spending as much time on serious situations like jobs instead of forcing his crap health care bill down our throats. Hes not for america hes for himself. He makes me sick!
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• The process lacked transparency, leaving the consumer (and ultimate funder) in the dark until the end. Revisions and attached dealings were done behind closed doors making people suspicious. These actions do not inspire confidence among voters, and increase stress, agitation and anger at the same time.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Anouck - teabaggers is a derogatory and disgusting term made up by the left wing nuts. Please don't use it again. It is not only the far right that is upset with this bill. Most independents and moderates hate it as well. As for the President or anyone else on the left wanting bipartisanship, that is BS! They "staged" a meeting with Republicans and Democrats, then completely blew off every idea given by the Republicans. Not a single one of their ideas made it into the bill. It's the dems who were being completely partisan here.

As for the OP's question, no REAL American should be happy with how this was handled. The ONLY reason it passed was because of coercion, bribery, threats, and buyouts. Is that the kind of "change" you were looking for? If it is, feel free to join the Mafia then.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Most people? Except on here, I have never spoken to anyone who is for this bill. I was for it when it was called hillarycare. It was no better as obamacare.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2010