People resent Military families and income?

I notice on alot of replies that people are bashing the military for making too much money, and they should be glad they have a job. Times are hard, but my husband could make literally double the pay he makes in the army if he got out. But he loves the army. I dont understand why people are being do disrespectful. A women posted the other day that military families believe they are better. I dont think we are better, just different. Then someone tried to say my husband is overpaid. Really? The army has 12-15 month deployments, how can you compare that to a civilian job? Its not the same. And at the end of the day, my husband loyalty goes, Army, Country, God, Family. Believe me the pay isnt that good, if you consider the hours put in, and the seperations, and the duties required. Sorry getting off my soapbox

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 6:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• People are neither better nor worse than one another. Just different. Money especially doesn't make you any better than the bum down the street. Personally I think active military should be paid more because they are risking their lives to protect the freedoms americans have. But when they get back, depending on their situation, they should struggle and get back to the grind like the rest of us. Hell.. The government and company bigwigs should as well... Nothing in life should come free for anyone, no matter what your means. Especially not the rich. There should be a law against rich people getting anything for free lol
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 7:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• some people are just stupid. my dh is marines
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree my Dh is air force...
    Anonymous

• I think its funny people actually believe the military is over paid, seriously? They need to look at the paychecks IMO they are UNDERPAID for what they are doing. My DH is veteran Marine :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 6:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• when my dh first joined the army he calculated it out and he only made like 75cents an hour his first year, who else can say that! People think we make bank, but if we did, then why are most military families on WIC? shouldnt us richies be able to afford milk? And how many jobs can say they go off for a year and risk being killed and are away from families and loved ones.

If you dont stand behind our troops, then please, feel free to stand in front of them!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Not military, and I feel they're underpaid for the service they provide to our country.

I don't think some people have a realistic idea of the salaries of military personnel.
    Anonymous

• I'm not military, nor is my SO. But I don't resent the military anything. I know the pay really isn't all that great. Honestly, I haven't seen any of the comments you mentioned. I think the only time I said something to the extent of "at least they have a job" was when somebody was complaining about the 1.4% (I think?) cost of living pay increase, and how it wasn't enough...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree!!!!! When my DH was in the Air Force, people kept telling him he should get out and get a civilian job so he could make twice as much.....even though he was an Officer. We could have but he wanted to stay in the Air force . I always have to laugh when someone says theythought the military made so much money.LOL.. no way.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Yeah thats messed up. My husband is a Marine and people should have some respect for the people fighting for YOUR freedom. And as far as that goes, they should have some respect for the families that go without thier husbands, dads, and sons for months on end. What we do is NOT easy. And dont talk about it until youve done it. You have no idea what we go through. What they make is not even close to worth the scarfice.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree, OP, not paid enough lol. Mine's Air Force with 12 years in and we were, for the first probably 5 years, under the poverty line.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2010