What do you think about a SAHM sending her child to a half day Pre-K?

I'm a SAHM to 3 kids. My oldest turns 4 this August. I never really gave pre-k a thought before since I stay at home and am a certified teacher, but my DD wants to go to school. The one we'd send her to is a Christian private school just 15 minutes down the road and I could send her for just a half day. I feel like she needs a little time away from her brother who's only 20 months younger than her and follows her every where.

What do you ladies think? She would go from 8:20 to 11:20 and is friends with a little boy who would be in her same class.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 6:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I plan on sending my four year old next year. He is going to go to an all day kindergarten the next year. I want him to be ready for that. I don't want to just dump him in a full day kindy without some previous school experience.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Sure. Why not? What's wrong with that? I think it would be great for her, and you and everyone else. My daughter goes to a group, kinda like pre school once a week for 2 hours. I think it's good for her to be away from her brother who is also 20 months younger than her. She's 2 1/2 and he's 9 months. But I think it's good for them to have some time apart where they get more attention separately, you know? I dunno...I don't see anything wrong with it...i think it's a great idea. Good luck
    Anonymous

• I think it's fine. It gives the child social skills, and of course the learning is a good thing. Now, I'm not a teacher, but I don't care that you are one, you have the other kids to take care of too so she'll gain more information in a school setting.
    Anonymous

• I think its great and if she wants to go then its not like your forcing her. I would do it it would be good for her and for you, the upside is she gets used to a "school" routine now so when kindy comes around you wont be the parent with the child attached to your leg being pulled off you by a teacher (i actually watched this happen once it was sad).

It sounds like it would be good for her independance especially with a brother so close in age, it will give her a break and some breathing space.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 6:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Yes, as someone whose child has been in daycare full-time since she was 10 weeks old, I can say that all the socialization does wonders for the kids. They have friends and it's great.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I am in favor of kids going to Pre-K, daycare,whatever. I was a SAHM but sent my daughters to Preschool because they were shy. They were pretty smart and when they did well , it increased their confidence and they made friends,too. I recommend it to everyone.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would do it. Its good socializing experience before starting kindergarten. I think its a good thing.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• What does you being a SAHM got to do with you wanting your daughter to get socialized and taught some things? Its for her benefit not yours.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with that at all. Your child will learn social skills and start getting prepared for school
    MommyB2010

Answer by MommyB2010 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It's great. I don't understand why being a SAHM factors in, your child could greatly benefit from being with other kids her own age. She can pick things up from them, learn through them and I just think it's a good idea all around. If you have the opportunity to do it I say go for it.
    Anonymous