focalin xr

ok mama's tell me about your children that take it .. cause my son just started it today .

bwsmommy

Asked by bwsmommy at 6:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• FocalinXR worked well for my daughter. However, her body metabolizes it quickly. Therefore, the down-side for us is that she has to take 10mg of the fast acting at 12:30 and again at 4:30 to maintain an even focus. I don't like the fact that she has to take so much medicine but that is where we are now. Adderall seemed to make her somewhat edgy. There is never any easy fix for these types of meds. It's continual observation and assessment to find the right "cocktail" that fits the child.
    Fabmom51

Answer by Fabmom51 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It didnt work well for my ds. He has been on Vyvanse for over 2 years now and it is the best we have found for him.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• We've been using Focalin XR for about a year with great success. If this is your first medication, it may, or may not be your last. We have tried everything..Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, Adderall XR, Ritalin SR...all with terrible side effects. All of these medications can have different side effects for every person. We've experience, insomnia, weight loss, depression, face tics, and anxiety with all of these. Focalin has worked extremely well. My son still has a personality but it gives him just the right amount to help him stay on task. It wears off about an hour after he gets home from school, so he gets his homework done, has a good appetite for dinner and is able to sleep well. Try not to ever let him miss a dose. Their bodies do become addicted to it and this causes terrible headaches and withdrawal symptoms, if they miss a day. I HATE that my son has to take medication, period.
    Anonymous

• My son has been on it for over a year. I love it. We have tried so many other meds for his adhd either they had to many side effects or after they had to up it so many times. I hope it works well for you.
    indigo645

Answer by indigo645 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2010