Tired of being poor, I don't know what to do

I am blessed to have my husbands truck and my van paid off as well as our home. My husband lost his job last year and we are so very broke right now. We have a large family that I thought we'd always be able to support. Now I sit here staring at a disconnect notice for my electric and gas and I just don't know where to turn from here. I've been making a small income from writing for a website for a year, but we can't live off $600 a month for the 8 of us! I'm so lost. Where do I turn from here? My babies are too little for me to run off and get a job and my husband has applied EVERYWHERE- I mean he even tried to get a job at MCDONALDS and he has 2 college degrees but even McDonalds isnt hiring :*( Several companies left this area and everyone is looking for jobs. I dont know what to do! Can anyone give me some direction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• ask obama he seems to have all the answers lol
    Anonymous

• Go and apply for food stamps.
    Churches and your trustee office can help you with your bills.
    You can also go to food pantrys for food.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 7:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Sell whatever you can. Ask hubby to take on odd-jobs...who knows, this may be hubby's chance to start his own business. We just got out of the same situation (work wise - we owe on both vehicles and only have two kids)...hubby took every odd job he could: fence mending, repairing vacuums and such, cleaning yards, we changed oil and brakes for friends and neighbors, started cashing in on recycling...apply for every assistance program out there and see what you can come up with. Even if you think you won't qualify, apply anyway. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• We were in the same boat. Hubby got laid off and no unemployment benefits, since it was a temp to hire job. Then my job started mandatory furlough days. The larger companies have moved on and left hundreds without jobs in our area, even the "easy to find" jobs are all taken.

I tried assistance and was told I make too much money (by $100 UGH!) anyhow ... I started juggling utilties to try to keep them on. They were always late, but I was able to keep them from getting shut off, barely!

Then I met a mom here on CafeMom & signed up for PrePaid Legal. I was terrified because I spent my light bill money to sign up, but I tripled my investment in about 2 weeks and I just recently quit my part time job. We're on the road to recovery & work it together.

No business can guarantee an income, but with time and effort, this business has proven itself to me. It's a 40 yr old NYSE company!
    www.prepaidlegal.com/go/maryejacobs
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 7:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Also check Craigslist ... under wanted to buy or if you have anything you can sell.

I did this and was surprised at the stuff I could sell that people wanted that I hadn't even thought about selling. Like a ping pong table, old fish tank, bike etc.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 7:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It seems that a lot of jobs declined for men, however there seems to be more job opportunities for women. I am not sure of your state and job availability. Maybe think about you getting the job and having your husband be home with the children until he can find employment.
    Anonymous

• Um really? Because I am aware of about 25 jobs right now is my town, and that's just off the top of my head If I seriously were in this type of situation I would think about moving or something.
    Anonymous

• Anon, thats easier said than done. Our home is paid off however the housing market is REALLY down. We have the third highest unemployment rate. If I move, we cant afford to RENT or BUY anything so moving would only make matters worse at this point. We have 9 homes for sale on our street and it seems like every month more and more are going up for sale. Thats wonderful that you have so many jobs open in your town alone, but we had 11,000 people lose their jobs in the area when GM, DHL, and NCR all closed and moved away. Moving costs money- money we don't have. We have 6 kids, 4 of which are in school and would need transferred. I must say that the "um, really" is highly inappropriate when you consider that I am another person on the other side of this screen who has real feelings and a real life that can't just be uprooted on a whim and a prayer.
    Anonymous

• Anon 7:13 we have been selling things on craigslist to get by for two months now. Hubby took on a quick 10 day gig as the Easter Bunny at the mall. We need to figure out something long term i think. I would love to go back to school. I started med school 9 years ago, but dropped out when I couldnt afford it anymore and had a baby. Is it possible to go back to school when you have no money and no job?!
    Anonymous

• have you tried working from home..i have a job and a business and i may be able to help you a bit, i have a promo going right now and it might help you..email me if you want..ill try and help the best i can..been in your position b4 and i think its made me realize i need to help other more than i used to
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2010