Rashes..exzema...???

My son has these red flacky almost round "rashes" on the tops of his feet, back of his arms and legs, and sometimes his knees and face. His doc gave me something that was basically hydrocortozone and i have started using baby exzema cream but nothing works. It looks awful but doesnt seem to bother him. Any suggestion??? He is 14 months and never crawls!

Sami83

Asked by Sami83 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 8 month son had it pretty bad a couple of months ago, and the doctor gave him some cream described as a "steroid cream" and it cleared up quick. Im sorry I dont know the name. It actually came back tho a couple of days ago and i bought Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema Cream and body wash from walgreens and its improving already. We put gloves/socks on our babys hands so he wont scratch it anymore and put the lotion on him about 3 times a day and bathe him in the tub every other day.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If it doesn't bother him it might not be excema. It usually itches pretty badly.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I have excema. If you bathe to much it can make it worse. My dd had a bad spot on her hand and it was because she was washing her hands often and with anti-bacterial soap. Put the hydrocort on him. That is what he needs and then find the lotion that works for him. Look in the lotion isle there are several excema creams and they are all good just some are better for each different person than others. You just have to expect that with each weather change there will be some change. Hope this helps.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Try bathing him with oatmeal in the water. Aveeno is very good. Also tichelle is correct, if you bath them too much it won't help.
    Doctor's don't recommend you to bathe a lot when you have eczema. BrittanyD07 seems to have a good idea also. I hope that these will help.
    4cooks

Answer by 4cooks at 10:06 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I had excema as a child and so does my son you don't need to do any thing too special other than this unless it is really bad. HYDROCORiZONE cream or ointment ( preferably the strongest consistency 1%) , IVORY SOAP, and BABY OIL. the skin issue it self is extreme dry skin, apply the baby oil twice a day after the hydrocorizone. the Ivory is just something that is better for sensitive skin so using that on a regular basis helps the irritation and wounlt dry out the skin as much as some other soaps ( including the baby wash).

also go and get the child tested for allergies, the excema may be a allergic reaction to some thing. for my son it was real milk.

fmsg me back after talking to your doctor, see what he says.
    alilanglsmomma

Answer by alilanglsmomma at 8:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• since the cream isn't working use the ointment and if you feel comfortable with it, play with his diet alittle bit: like if you give him milk every day- stop for a week or two and see if that helps , or other things that he normally eats- ONLY DO ONE ITEM AT A TIME that way you can hopefully pin point what the problem may be if there is one.

like i said , my kid is lactose intolerant so once he started on soy the excema cleared up alot more and with the other things that i was doing it went away
    alilanglsmomma

Answer by alilanglsmomma at 8:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You can use CALIFORNIA BABY calendula cream, works great for my baby. Don't use chimical cream California baby is organic, limit the use of Hydrocortizone is not good for childen under 2 years. Good luck.
    yolaa

Answer by yolaa at 3:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Sammi83 I forgat said you can get California Baby at Target.
    yolaa

Answer by yolaa at 3:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2010