Child genius???

My mom's best friend and I are very close, she is like a 2nd mom to me. Her grandson went to the psycatrist today about problems he has been having and my friend's daughter told her that they said the problem is that he is a genius. That he has too many things going on in his head at one time to stop and focus on one. They are putting him on an ADD med for this. Maybe its just me but that sounds crazy. I think she is making it up and that he is just ADD. My son is ADHD.... I don't hink it is a big secret that her and I aren't eachothers biggest fan. I also really don't care much for her son. (which my friend may and may not know) One of the "problems" he has is he is MEAN. Not like every kid once in a while mean. But majorly mean spirtied MEAN. And my son was the recipiant ofhis meanness many times....
Anyway, has anyone heard of this or do you all think the same as me, that she is making it up?

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• It IS possible for a child with a high IQ to basically get bored, and lose focus. Whether that's the case with her child, who knows. Does it really matter?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I guess it doesn't REALLY matter. I am just curious because I think she is saying that becasue she doesn't want to say her son is ADD or whaever else.
    I can understand bordom, but does genius really make you not be able to process things because there is too much going on? And I have never heard of ADD meds to treat genius. Plus what does genius have to do with being a mean little shit??

Again, just curious so I wanted other opinions, becasue I am obviously not going to say this to my friend.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I've heard of it they said the same thing with my dd. They say she get's board easy because she is to smart. I can see it she is really smart.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Haha, I don't think being a genius would explain him being a "mean little shit", no. That may just be personality... But yes, geniuses are frequently scatter brained until they learn to channel their energy, so to speak. Again, I don't know if that's the case with her son, just that it's possible. It's just as possible she's lying for whatever reason. I guess only the psychiatrist could tell you for sure...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I get that they can get bored if really too smart for the sstuff they are doing in school. But my question is not about boredom....
    It is does it make it so one can't focus BECAUSE there is so much going on in the head at once the person can't process it, or focus on one thing??? This is what my friends daughter told her. That to me seems like it pretty much defines ADD, not genius. I am not saying he is not smart. You can have ADD, or anything else and be extreemly smart as well. But I have never heard of that as the explanation of genius.
    And his probs are not just in school.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i sure the doctor tried to explain to her a certain way and all she wanted to hear was genius. She probably didnt want to hear that it is a problem and a disorder for him to not focus on one thing at a time.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Isn't everyone a bit ADD or ADHD anymore? Seriously, think about it. There is so much stimuli going on around us, that it is hard to focus on any one thing...because the next thing is right there! I disagree with putting a child on meds for this, I've read some books that do say that if you add more structure to the child's life and also if you change the diet, it will help do the same things that the meds will, and without all the harmful side effects. How old is the child anyway? And really, not to be offensive toward you, it just sounds like if this girl's child was a genius, you might be a bit jealous. And rightfully so, I mean, I'd love for a doctor to proclaim that my child was a genius!! LOL. But, just ignore her. If you don't like her in the first place, who cares....don't waste your time and energy on something that really has nothing to do with you. Sorry, just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• LOL
    I promise I am not jealous - I just honeslty don't like her or him. Partially becasue of the fact that my son was on the recieving end of his meanness too many times and the mom didn't really do much about it. Which is why I kind of wanted an un bias opinion.
    He is 7.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My brother is this way...had ADD as a kid and he was at genius level. We call him Rainman because he's so sharp and techincal and intelligent and detailed. So I think it's possible for sure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2010