Wouldn't paying the fine for not having health care be cheaper than the premium?

Do you think many will just pay the fine at approximately $58 a month, rather than a couple thousand a year in premiums?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• LUCKY!
    If we never get sick and don't have to go to the doc I spend $75 a month on rx meds for me and my son. That is with insurance. This doesn't count allergy season, or anything else.
    If we get sick its more, plus I have to go to the specialist 1 time every 3 months, he has a med check once every few months, and we both have dental issues.
    All this with me doing everything I am supposed to do for us, its just how it is for us. :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• pay the fine and then pay their own insurance on top of that? i'm still not sure exactly how this health thing is gonna go along those lines...can you have your own insurance or will they force you into the governments?
    Anonymous

• I guess you could but that would seem kinda dumb....
    Granted I honestly do not know the details of the bill at all.
    But I can't see the sence of paying a monthly fine and still having to pay uninsured costs for doctors and hospitals ect just seems silly to me.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If you have insurance, you won't have to pay the fine. My point is, forcing people to pay thousands a year for insurance OR pay a fine of about $700.................what do you think people will choose?
    Anonymous

• I see what you're saying Meg, but I never go to the doctors, because I am never sick. I get a pap and my teeth cleaned, once a year, which I already pay cash for. Paying for those appts and the fine would still be probably less than 1/2 of what I would have to pay for the premium, not to mention the co-pays.
    Anonymous

• It's not a monthly fine. The fine will be figured out when you do your taxes. It will be deducted from your refund or added to what you owe. I also believe you can go to jail if you continue to refuse health insurance.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I know $58 a month would be cheaper than the thousands a year for folks who like to go the health savings account route instead....but that whole threat of jail time is a issue that hangs over that option.

Still, (correct me if this has changed) but I believe the fines for some businesses not offering insurance to their employees don't come with jail time threats, and are significantly cheaper than insuring them.
    Anonymous